The Ultimate Guide to Christmas Gift Shopping

0

Of course there are those select few that have all their Christmas presents bought and wrapped before we’ve even opened our advent calendars (it hurts, I know). But for the vast majority, there is still plenty of Christmas shopping to do! Stuck for ideas? You’ve come to the right place!

We all have that one person who is impossible to buy for and always just ends up with socks. Well, let’s change that and have a sock-free Christmas. Here are some more inspired Christmas present ideas:

Experience

Credit: Harriet Martin

This category has something for absolutely everyone, which is what makes it so great. You could buy:

• Concert/festival tickets (I highly recommend the Isle of Wight Festival and Bestival)
  • Tickets to a sporting event i.e. a football or rugby match
  • A voucher for a spa day
  • An afternoon tea voucher
  • Theatre tickets (the Mayflower has some great upcoming shows!)

If you’re after some more specific ideas, have you thought about a family photoshoot, a segway experience, Go Ape, X Factor tour tickets, indoor sky-diving or maybe a trip away? One pro about these sorts of presents is that you tend to be able to go along too – result!

Credit: Harriet Martin
Credit: Harriet Martin

Hampers

Now, if you’re willing to splash the cash, you can buy lush ready-made luxury happens from stores like John Lewis, M&S and DebenhamsBut this doesn’t have to be an expensive present – why not fill a basket/pretty gift box with a few of your recipient’s favourite things? This makes for a really personal gift as well and they always go down well. Why not include their favourite sweets, chocolate, tea, coffee, alcohol, crisps or spread? Remember, hampers don’t have to be food-related, you could throw in some cute stationary, books, DVDs or anything you like really.

Boots 3 for 2

If you’re looking to bulk buy a few presents, get yourself down to Boots where they do 3 for 2 Mix & Match on all their gifts each year. They have a brilliant selection and it’s not just toiletries either – they do stationary, food-related sets, children’s toys and all sorts.

Great presents for other students

• Something course-related i.e. set of paintbrushes for an art student, books for a humanities student.
  • Stationary
  • Memo-board
  • Bottle of their fave alcohol
  • Christmas jumper
  • Hair products
  • Everyday toiletries i.e. dry shampoo/body spray/their fave brand of shampoo
  • Fairy lights

Miscellaneous

• Make-up & make-up brushes
  • Vouchers (for clothing stores, iTunes, restaurants etc.)
  • Photo frame with photo of your best memory with recipient
  • Perfume/Aftershave
  • Board game
  • 2017 Calendar/Diary/Organiser
  • Phone case
  • Bracelet/Watch
  • Magazine Subscription
  • Scarf/hat/gloves
  • Xbox/Playstation games/accessories
  • Candles/a diffuser
Credit: Pixabay

Finally, a really great website for inspiration and my FAVOURITE place to buy gifts is notonthehighstreet.com, where you can find presents for absolutely anyone. Plus they do loads of personalised bits too! You’re welcome!

Investigations Editor 2016/17. BA Spanish student, aspiring journalist and avid blogger (harriet-martin.com).