Woman ID’d For Asda Mince Pies

A 21-year-old woman, Merryn Walker, was recently asked to show her ID to prove she was over 18, in order to be able to try a sample of mince pie in Asda.

A branch of the supermarket, in Donnington, has now come under fire for asking Walker to prove her age. The pie sample contained a small amount of port and brandy, which the box describes as having 4% brandy and 1.5% ruby port.

Walker said ‘It’s crazy. You could probably eat a box and not be inebriated.’

What really makes this story even more ridiculous is that even though you need your ID to try a sample, you don’t need it if you want to buy a whole box of the ‘Luxury All-Butter Mince Pies’.

A spokesperson for Asda told the Independent that ‘We know our customers will love the fantastic festive food we have available this year, which is why we’re sampling bite-sized portions of some of the tasty treats in the build-up to Christmas. For obvious reasons products containing liquid alcohol are only offered to customers over the age of 18. 

However, mince pies are a family staple and would usually be made available to all – but, we would never criticise an individual for trying to do the right thing when presented with a customer who’s lucky enough to look younger than their years.’

So remember, if you’re hoping to get some free mince pie samples this festive season, bring your ID!

English and History student.