Eco-Friendly Products To Transform Your Make-Up Bag

0

There’s one thing many of us overlook when we try to become more eco-friendly: our make-up bag. You can stop buying over-packaged food and start supporting anti-animal cruelty movements but you can also help the environment by making simple changes to the products you use every day

The cosmetic industry has already made great advances in creating a more eco-friendly community, yet there are still many brands to watch out for. Non-eco-friendly companies often overuse pesticides, use non-biodegradable packaging that heightens deforestation and waste, and they include chemical components that cannot break down, consequently poisoning the hydrological cycle and damaging eco-systems. Furthermore, according to Humane Society International, 100,000-200,000 animals are still suffering each year from cosmetic animal testing.

If you’re going to detox your make-up, you’re going to want some eco-friendly brushes to match. Eco-tools are the perfect brand for this; they use recycled aluminium and plastic, sustainable bamboo handles, tree-free packaging, and 100% cruelty-free bristles. They also donate a percentage of their profits towards Glamour’s The Girl Project encouraging female empowerment. The perfect set of brushes to feel good on the inside as well as on the outside.

Foundation contains a mass of chemicals, such as lead, butylated compounds and octinoxate, that are damaging to both your own well-being and the environment. Why not choose Tarte’s Amazonian clay 12-hour foundation? It’s free from parabens, phthalates and is cruelty-free. Alternatively, for a cheaper option, try Ecco Bella liquid foundation: paraben, petroleum, preservative and fragrance-free. If you prefer loose powder, Physician Formula Organic Wear is perfect. Also, always go for a natural, vegan and cruelty-free face wash such as Juice Beauty cleanser.

Good, organic eyeshadow can be a difficult product to find and many companies are still far from developing a sustainable product. Look for a product that is 100% natural, vegan and gluten-free, and try refillable palettes to prevent wastage. Why not try Jane Iredale eyeshadow that offers an array of colours, or Aveda Petal Essence eyeshadow, paraben, talc and mineral oil free, and packaged in recycled material? The average woman spends £2867 on mascara in her lifetime, however, toxic ingredients such as phthalates, petrolatum and sodium laureth make mascara an incredibly non-eco-friendly product. Beauty without Cruelty offers a full-volume, long-lasting mascara, paraben free and vegan, and Organic Bella provides a dramatic, 100% natural mascara, creating length without drying out your lashes, recyclable and free of harsh chemicals. Many other mascaras have also stepped up their ecological game.

Lipstick is home to some of the dodgiest chemicals in cosmetics, such as phthalates, lead, butylated compounds, and siloxanes, so when making your next purchase really look at the ingredients. Brands that are taking a stand against this include: Rituel de Fille (99% natural. Paraben, phthalate, synthetic dye and synthetic fragrance free whilst also 100% cruelty-free), Ilia (85% bioactive organic ingredients, housed in a recycled aluminium case), and Hush + Dotti (a cruelty-free, organic lipstick with clean ingredients and zero toxins). Explore and discover new and rising brands that are clean and cruelty-free before mindlessly purchasing your usual go-to lipstick.

Sample brands to support: Acure Organics, Antonym Cosmetics, Aveda, Axiology, Beauty without Cruelty, Burt’s Bees, Cargo, Dr. Hauschka, Ecco Bella, Eco-tools, Hush + Dotti, Ilia, Jane Iredale, Josie Maran, Juice Beauty, Kiss my Face, Korres, NU Evolution, Organic Bella, Origins, Pacifica, Physician Formula, Ritual de Fille, Suki, Tarte, Vapour.

Simple changes to your make-up bag can go a long way both for you and the world around you.

History student and aspiring journalist