- 12 Bakes of Christmas 2017: Shortbread
- 12 Bakes of Christmas 2017: Florentines (Vegan)
- 12 Bakes of Christmas 2017: Spiced Gingerbread Bundt Cake with Orange Icing
- 12 Bakes of Christmas 2017: Stollen [Part 4 of 4]
- 12 Bakes of Christmas 2017: Stollen [Part 3 of 4]
- 12 Bakes of Christmas 2017: Stollen [Part 2 of 4]
- 12 Bakes of Christmas 2017: Dark Ginger Biscuits
- 12 Bakes of Christmas 2017: Stollen [Part 1 of 4]
- 12 Bakes of Christmas 2017: Homemade Mince Pies Vs. Shop-Bought
- 12 Bakes of Christmas 2017: Cinnamon Pecan Chewies
- 12 Bakes of Christmas 2017: Chocolate Orange Christmas Cake
- 12 Bakes of Christmas 2017: Lebkuchen
- 12 Bakes of Christmas: Salted Caramel Brownies.
Every year, it becomes easier to find vegan snacks at Christmas – you can even buy vegan advent calendars in supermarkets now! But we still like to bake some things ourselves, and one thing my mum and I bake every Christmas is shortbread. Ridiculously simple and incredibly tasty, they don’t seem to last long in our house…
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
Makes: depends entirely on the cutters you use! We made about 20.
300g plain flour
200g Alpro Soya spread
100g caster sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 160’C
2. Line a tray with greaseproof paper – or grease with butter, but I prefer using the paper.
3. Cream the spread and sugar until pale, light and fluffy. It should look a bit like mashed potato!
4. Sift the flour into the bowl.
5. Mix with your hands until it forms a dough.
6. Wrap in clingfilm and let it chill in a fridge for 20 minutes.
7. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a thickness of 1 cm, and cut out your shapes! Tip: make sure to flour your cutters before cutting out the dough.
8. Place your shapes on your prepared baking tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. If you want them a little sweeter, sprinkle caster sugar over the top of them before baking.
9. Leave to chill on a tray for 20 minutes after cooking.
10. Hide in a tin somewhere to prevent them all from being eaten in a day.