The Habits of Successful Women

0

‘I never dreamed about success. I worked for it.’ – Estée Lauder. University, work, love, exercise, health – often life seems to be asking for just that little bit too much. We often find balancing the things we care about and choosing the right priorities extremely difficult. However, there are extremely successful women out there who serve as an inspiration to us all. Women who have put in the hard work, defied stereotypes, and are now absolutely killing it. Here’s how they do it:

Defy adversary

If you want something, go get it! Believe in yourself every single day, and don’t let anyone stand in your way. J. K. Rowling wrote the Harry Potter series as a single mother on welfare benefits, despite multiple rejections from publishers, the series has now sold over 400 million copies. Don’t let anyone put you down.

Make the first move

‘Power is not given to you. You have to take it.’ – Beyoncé. You aren’t going to land your dream job by doing nothing, be pro-active. In 2017, only 17% of start-up businesses had a female founder. If you’ve got an idea, make the first move. Amelia Earhart was the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic, her advice to women was: ‘the woman who can create her own job is the woman who will win fame and fortune.’

Befriend your co-workers

Building trust in people is one of the most important things in getting to the top. If you spend time getting to know people, you can learn how to communicate and work best with them. Also, stay connected; you never know whose help you’ll need in the future.

Self-love

‘Do you want to meet the love of your life? Look in the mirror.’ – Byron Katie. Self-love is so important in success. Look in the mirror every day and give yourself some credit; you’ll go a long way.

Make your bed

Start every morning with an accomplishment. The small sense of achievement you will get from making your bed will get you going for a successful and productive day. Cameron Diaz and Gretchen Rubin swear by it.

Exercise

Working out is a great way to de-stress and have fun, whilst keeping healthy. Anna Wintour, the Editor-in-Chief of Vogue, plays tennis for an hour every morning before embarking on the long day ahead.

Make to-do lists

With a busy schedule, it’s easy to forget what needs to get done. Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook COO, writes down her schedule by hand, believing it to be more effective than digital calendars. Every day, Lauren Conrad, entrepreneur, writes a to-do list in her bedside notebook. Evidence suggests that people are 33% more likely to complete their goals if they write them down – something so simple can make all the difference.

Put your phone down

Susan Sontag, writer and film-maker, told people not to call her in the morning, so she could get work done. Alternatively, Arianna Huffington, founder of the Huffington Post, never takes any electronics into the bedroom, so that she can get quality sleep.

Have some me time

Many successful women swear by meditation. Kerri Walsh Jennings meditates for 10-15 minutes every morning to focus herself for the day ahead, and now she’s won three Olympic gold medals. Alternatively, take a bath! Emma Watson makes self-care a priority, taking a bath every single day.

Understand that you can’t balance everything, work out your priorities and have a little self-love, and you might just start to see a twinkle of success in your life.

History student and aspiring journalist