Five Delicious Mocktail Recipes

0

There’s no denying that if there’s one drink that’s just as good without alcohol, it’s a cocktail. In fact, the problem with cocktails is that they are just too delicious and easy to drink, so knowing a few recipes for non-alcoholic versions is definitely a good thing!

Whether you’re teetotal, doing sober October/dry January, or have too much work to deal with tomorrow meaning that an alcohol-induced slow start to the day simply isn’t an option, these recipes are for you! Additionally, it will also potentially save you money if you are nearing the end of term.

Cocktails are not only fun to drink, they are also fun to make! Here are some delicious recipes for you to try, all to serve 1 person, so simply adjust the measurements accordingly:

1. Raspberry Faux-jito
    The mojito is a classic cocktail, made even yummier with the addition of raspberries. This take on a virgin mojito is absolutely delicious and perfect for those with a sweet tooth. Ingredients:                                                    – 6 raspberries
    – 6 mint leaves
    – 1/2 cup of granulated sugar dissolved over a medium heat into 1/2 cup of water to make a syrup
    – 1/4 cup of raspberry juice
    – 2 tbsp of fresh lime juice
    – 1/2 cup of soda water.Simply add raspberries, the mint leaves and the syrup into a tall glass, then squish it all together with the back of a spoon. Then, fill the glass with ice, and add the raspberry juice, the lime juice and top it up with the soda water. Finish by garnishing with a wedge of lime and a couple of raspberries.
  2. Mango Mule
    – If you’re a fan of ginger beer, you will love this mocktail. The cucumber and lime combination makes it very refreshing – a perfect beverage to bring out in the summer! Ingredients:
    – 5 slices of cucumber
    – 30ml of honey syrup
    – 45ml of mango puree
    – 45ml of ginger beer
    – 45ml of fresh lime juiceAdd the cucumber and honey syrup to a cocktail shaker and use the back of a spoon to mash the cucumber. Then add the mango puree and lime juice. Once you’ve done this, give it all a good shake. Add ice and then shake again, before straining the contents of the shaker into a glass and topping it up with ginger beer.
  3. Rosemary and Blueberry Smash
    My favourite of the mocktails – this recipe is amazing for any time of year! Ingredients:
    – 8 blueberries
    – 1 rosemary sprig, stripped
    – 30ml of honey syrup
    – 30ml of fresh lemon juice
    – Sparkling waterIn the bottom of a cocktail shaker, squish together the blueberries, honey syrup and rosemary leaves. Then add the lemon juice and ice and shake. Strain through a mesh strainer into a tall glass of fresh ice and top with sparkling water.
  4. Pineapple Cobbler
    This is a really good one to take if you’re going to pre-drinks but you’re not drinking alcohol, because it has so few ingredients. Ingredients:
    – 30ml of strawberry juice
    – 15ml of lime juice
    – 90ml of pineapple juice
    – Soda water to top up glass.
    Add all ingredients to a glass and stir well, then top with ice.
  5. Cucumber-Grape
    This final recipe requires a bit more effort than the previous one but it is definitely worth it, particularly if you are having a mocktail making night! Ingredients:
    – 75ml of red grape puree (simply use a blender to puree red grapes)
    – 1 cucumber water (peel and dice one cucumber and blend with 2 cups of water)
    – 7.5ml of lemon juice
    – 15ml of simple syrup (just equal parts sugar and water, dissolve the sugar in the water over a medium heat)For this mocktail, you will need to add all the ingredients minus the ice into a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously. Then take a tall glass and fill it with ice. Fill the bottom quarter of the glass with soda water, then add the juice mixture, and fill to the top with more soda water.
Credit: Nadine Pfaff.
Credit: Nadine Pfaff.

So there you have it, 5 delicious non-alcoholic cocktail recipes. The binge drinking culture that’s so prevalent at university can be incredibly dangerous to our health. According to the NHS, regularly drinking more than 14 units of alcohol per week can increase your risk of developing illnesses including cancers, strokes, liver disease and heart disease.

However, what’s more likely to affect students in the short term is risk of injury or getting yourself into an unsafe situation when you’re drunk. Of course, drinking can be a lot of fun at university, so long as you’re doing so responsibly, and your friends are too.If you do fancy making the mocktails in these recipes alcoholic, by all means add a shot of whatever takes your fancy. Just make sure you don’t go excessive!

Fourth year English Lit and French student. 2018/19 Lifestyle Editor.