Where to Go For Drinks in Portswood

0

So you’ve decided to meet up with your friends for some drinks and a catch up and want to know where all the best spots for students are in Portswood. Well, look no further – we’ve investigated the best places for you!

The Bridge.

Whilst Stag’s is great for karaoke and watching sports games, The Bridge has a more relaxed feel to it and is perfect for catching up with friends. Open till 11pm and conveniently located right in the middle of campus, it’s great for a chilled evening after a busy day of lectures. They’ve just launched a new cocktail menu this year, where you can get two cocktails for £5.95 – so genuinely, you can’t go wrong.

Wild Lime.

With 2 for 1 cocktails every evening, it’s great for a drinks night with friends that won’t cost you your whole weekly budget. The cocktails are tasty, but not necessarily the best quality – however, the price more than makes up for that! The bar itself is always lively and has pool tables, as well as showing all big sports games and matches. Whilst I wouldn’t really recommend it for a quiet drink with a close friend due to being pretty loud, it’s the perfect place for a big group outing.

Credit: Charlotte Willcox.
Credit: Charlotte Willcox.

Crafty Fox.

The newest of the bars in this article, the Crafty Fox only opened up in September this year. It’s located in the premises of the old Costa Coffee, yet you’d never know due to the complete change of interior. With exposed brick work and lighting, it’s similar to the pop-up bars that took over in South London a few summers ago. It’s definitely what would be described as “hipster”, but the staff are really friendly and helpful. They have a wide variety of craft beer/ale/cider on taps that also serve as part of the decoration. I’m not a massive fan of beer, but my friends who are have told me that they’ve got a great selection that’s reasonably priced at between £4-6 a pint. If you don’t fancy drinking, the coffee is also amazing!

Trago Lounge.

Always a popular spot for students, Trago Lounge is perfect both when it’s sunny and raining due to their great garden and intimate indoor atmosphere, thanks to their tea lights and pillows. They’ve got a great cocktail menu, with classics like Aperol Spritz and Espresso Martini’s, as well as unique cocktails such as the Cherry Bakewell (my personal favourite). Priced around £7 a cocktail, it’s slightly more expensive than the others, but with that you do get a better quality and a cocktail that’s definitely Instagram story worthy – do it for the ‘gram.

The Hobbit.

If you’re into Lord of the Rings, then The Hobbit is certainly the place for you as every cocktail is named after a different LOTR character. The cocktails are really nice and even if you’re not a fantasy fan, The Hobbit is still worth the visit as the decor is interesting and cosy. On Wednesdays they offer half-price cocktails and if you’re feeling brave enough and manage to try all the cocktails, (although not in one night!), you will have completed the Fellowship Quest!