An Introduction to the Winchester Section

0

Welcome to the first ever Winchester section to feature in the Wessex Scene. It’s taken a while, but we now have this fantastic opportunity to show you the students- both old and new, what WSA really has to offer.

Over the next few months myself and co-editor Emily Cotton will be bringing you a look into Winchester’s most prestigious places, including its bars and clubs- not just the biggest and most popular, but the secret ones hidden away down side streets where you’ll find the best of the ‘old man’ pubs. We’ll also be showing you where you can eat, dance, sing, study, watch a film, basically as much as we can, as well as trying to cram in some local history. This issue we’ll be taking a look at the newly revamped Students’ Union, including a brief chat with Charlene Batchelor, our new Winchester School of Art President.

So, first things first, who are we and where are we? Winchester School of Art (WSA) is the arts campus situated 12 miles north of Southampton City Centre. Originally founded over 130 years ago, we joined the University of Southampton in 1996 and have been strengthening our relationship ever since. What we hope to do this year is get more Southampton students utp to Winchester. Whether it be for a night out at the union, a visit to one of our exhibitions, or just a relaxing weekend trip. We’re only 20 minutes away on a train- which is just £3.65 return if you have a railcard and £5.50 without.

It’s a very exciting time for us at the moment with the appointment of Charlene, and what that means is that we have a whole new selection of nights at the Union. In the first 2 weeks alone we have 5 new events, including ‘Fat Panda’, ‘Your Front Room’ and ‘The Block Party’, as well as a fancy dress party titled ‘Wear The Wild Things.’ If that wasn’t enough we’ve also added a lick of paint. Speaking with Charlene about the new image, she said:

‘‘We’ve worked really hard on trying to change the look of the union, cleaning up the space and making it generally more welcoming. The students are becoming more involved, and that to me is key. I would love for Southampton students to come up and see what we’re all about. We’re so much more than events and drinking, we have a really nice community, and we want to push that and expand to bigger things this year.’’