The 7 Student Wonders of Southampton

By Alex Willets
By Alex Willets

There are various ‘Wonders of the World’ and believe it or not Southampton is, also, home to some!

So, as newbies to Southampton these are the 7 ‘wonders’ that you can’t just miss!

1) Jesters aka Palace of Dreams

There are no words to describe this magical place. Don’t try to google photos of it; they just won’t do it any justice. Jesters has become a legend across the country (especially after being voted the worst night club in the UK, more than once – again don’t be put off by this!). In all its grimy magicalness you will soon grow fond of it and it will become your favourite place.

Once inside Jesters head straight to the bar and order a ‘Jesticle’ – a truly mystical drink because you won’t even notice that it contains alcohol.

Of course after visiting this wonder that is Jesters, you must go next door to Chico-Land to order food and reflect on what happened that night.

Source: Nuala McBride

2) Trago Lounge

After a heavy or long night: brunch will fix everything. Get your new friends together and head down to Portswood to visit this ‘wonder’ – Trago Lounge. Inside, is an eclectic mix of vintage things adding to the uniqueness of this place. A firm favourite of mine is the Lounge Eggs (£6.75) and there are also lots of gluten free and vegan options.

Riverside Park
Source: Nuala McBride

3) Riverside Park  (and no not the one from One Tree Hill)

This ‘wonder’ of Southampton is very green and attracts the more active types. It’s a clear favourite with the residents of Monte and Connaught (and soon, City Gateway) because the park is only about a 5 minute walk away. It is great for running, walking, picnicking and of course kayaking on the river

Il Picchio
Source: Nuala McBride

4) Il Picchio Cafe

After spending a lot of time in Italy before coming to University, I was overjoyed at discovering this particular ‘wonder’. From Wessex Lane it is a short 10 minute walk along the river to the next village Bittern. Upon stepping inside this establishment, it is like being transported back to Italy. The man who runs it speaks only broken English. He stocks a huge choice of Italian magazines and books to read. The café serves a range of Italian food, including sandwiches, soups and cakes. I would highly recommend trying the chocolate cake.

5) The Hobbit Pub

Another quirky ‘wonder’ in Southampton. This pub has a range of drinks based on characters from The Hobbit. I would recommend a Frodo. There is large seating area outside and is a classic on bar crawls.

Source: Nuala McBride

6) Sprinkles and Scoops

These two ‘wonders’ are grouped together as they are both ice cream parlours in Portswood. They serve waffles, crepes, sundaes, and milkshakes as well as serving a wide range of different flavours of ice cream. If you see anyone finish a waffle then be in awe as they are pretty sickly!

7) Westquay

Westquay is a massive 800,000 square feet of shops and food outlets set across 5 floors! It’s a shopping ‘wonder’ and has everything you could possibly need.

Deputy Editor 2016 -2017. I'm a Geography student here at Southampton. Also, an avid adventurer; who is always up for discovering somewhere whether it's new or old.