Breaking News Update

0

This message has just been posted for staff at the University on the SUSSED portal:

Dear All‚

Please be aware that the University will be closed on Monday 11 January. This decision has been taken due to safety concerns arising from a depleted supply of grit.

Our current supply has run out and our pre–ordered replacement grit has been redirected to the Highways Agency‚ leaving the University unable to secure the safety of staff and students. This is combined with further forecasts of heavy snow on Sunday evening and Monday.

We will do everything to re–open on Tuesday. Please monitor the website and SUSSED for updates.

Please be assured staff will not lose any pay or leave as a result of this closure day.

I would like to thank all those members of staff who have endeavoured to continue to work this week, often in difficult conditions, enabling us to continue delivering a full service to our students, while many other Universities have closed.

If any member of staff feels they may provide an essential service, please seek guidance from your manager.

Thank you again to staff for their support this week. Please take care over the weekend. I hope to see you on Tuesday.

Kind Regards,

Simon Higman

Registrar and Chief Operating Officer

We are still awaiting further news and will be asking questions as to why the University were unprepared, ordering more grit at too late a time to prevent disruption on campus.