Everyone is a Winner – Oscars 2010

0

Kathryn Bigelow made Oscar history last night when she became the first woman to win the best directing trophy at the 82ndAcademy Awards. Bigelow’s film, The Hurt Locker, a film about American troops serving in the Iraq conflict took six prizes altogether including best picture. On receiving the prize she paid tribute to those in the military as well as her fellow nominees.

The 2010 Oscars were hosted by US actors Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin, who proved popular with the audience. As well as comedian Ben Stiller who handed over an award, while covered in blue face paint and dressed as a Na’vi character from Avatar.

The triumph of Bigelow’s low budget film was a welcome surprise, as Avatar had seemed like the clear winner after taking well over $2 billion at the box office worldwide. James Cameron’s 3D sci-fi blockbuster Avatar left with just three awards including best visual effects. James Cameron later pretended to throttle his ex-wife Bigelow for taking the award.

Other winners included Jeff Bridges (Crazy Heart) who took Best Actor, with Sandra Bullock (The Blind Side) scooping the Best Actress award. Bullock won the Razzie award for worst actress just a day before, for her role in All About Steve. As she took to the stage last night she joked “Did I really earn this, or did I wear you all down?”. Christoph Waltz (Inglorious Bastards) and Mo’Nique (Precious) were the winners of the supporting acting awards.

It was not Britain’s year for awards. Sandy Powell, the only British winner, took an award for costume design for the film The Young Victoria. Powell has previously taken two Oscars for her costume design in The Aviator and Shakespeare in Love. Colin Firth missed out on bringing an Oscar home as well as Wallace and Gromit creator Nick Park.