In the early hours of this morning 200 nightclubbers were evacuated from Southampton’s Rhino club after smoke was seen coming from the roof and first floor.
The fire broke out at approximately 2.15am and 6 fire engines arrived shortly afterwards to extinguish the blaze. Staff managed to evacuate the building before firefighters arrived so fortunately no-one was hurt.
Station manager Mark White praised those who tackled the blaze which was contained to the rear fire escape and roof space of Rhino. The nightclub has suffered smoke damage to the top floor and roof though White says it could have been a much more serious incident if it wasn’t for the firefighters’ good work.
The cause of the fire has been deemed ‘doubtful’ and an investigation by the police and fire chiefs follows to establish how it started.