Rare Archives Endangered

0

Unique archives held at Hartley Library are in danger of being split up and possibly sold over seas, despite a new fundraising campaign being launched by the university.

£2.8million is needed in order to keep the archive at the library, where it can be accessed by the public and students and is an invalauble source of political, social, economic and diplomatic information for the 19th and 20th centuries.

The University has appealed to National Heritage Memorial Fund for finance, but money will also be needed from other sources to cover the sum and keep the archive at the university.

The collection is of great importance as the collection of letters, photos and diaries of Lord Palmerston and Lord Mountbatten archives the founding of the modern states of India and Pakistan after the decolonisation at the end of the second world war. The papers are so named due to a vast majority of them being correspondence from Lord Palmerston, foreign secretary and Prime Minisister (1855-1858), who resided at Broadlands House, Hamphire. Also contained are letters between Palmerston and Queen Victoria, which provides an interesting insight for those studying the period.

If you are interested in helping the campaign, contact Katherine O’Brien at the School of Humanities at Southampton University by email at kaob@soton.ac.uk, or call +44 (0)23 8059 6895.