New Cruise Ship Arrives in Southampton

0

A £300million cruise ship, named Azura, has arrived in her home port for the first time after her maiden voyage from the Italian shipyard which built her.

She is part of P&Os fleet, which comprises of seven ships, two of which are based at the Southampton Docks. She is one of the largest ships built solely for passengers and boasts 4 swimming pools, a two-tiered out door swimming pool, a Michelin-starred chef, a gym, casino and an art gallery.

There is much hype about her arrival, with many festivities planned. Actors and actresses from many hit shows, such as The Bill, Strictly Come Dancing, and Mistresses, were invited to witness the christening of the ship by Darcy Bussell, the retired prima ballerina. She has been named the ships “godmother”.

“Darcey Bussell epitomises glamour, sophistication and elegance, all qualities we have strived to achieve in Azura” said P&O Cruises managing director, Carol Marlow.  “Azura will offer the service, quality and entertainment associated with cruising at its very best and as dance will play a key part in this, it is entirely fitting for Darcey to give Azura the best possible start in life.”

Following on from the Christening service, there will be a firework display, a film entitled Voyage into the Blue showing at the Mayflower Park and entertainment along the waterfront with acrobats, fairground rides, music and dancing.

The first voyage with passengers of the Azura will be the Meditarranean departing on the 12th April for 16 nights, with further voyages taking her to ports all round the world.