Suspected Southampton Bombers Released on Bail as Another Suspect is Arrested

0

A man and woman arrested after a bomb exploded in Eastleigh early Saturday morning have been released on bail. The 56 year-old man and 58 year-old woman are both from the Eastleigh area, and were granted bail until June after police questioned them about the home-made bomb that severely damaged three vehicles. An 18 year-old male has now been arrested on suspicion of causing an explosion likely to endanger life.

Detective Sergeant Martin Myers has again confirmed that this not related to terroism, and is reported on the Daily Echo website as saying ‘officers from the local Safer Neighbourhoods team are putting on extra patrols in the area to speak to residents and offer reassurance’.

Eastleigh has had a few other bombs detonated in the past year. During the Christmas period a motorist attached a bomb to a speed camera, blowing it up into pieces on Bishopstoke Road. Police were also called this time last year to Nightingale Pets, a pet shop located near the town’s Aviary estate, before setting up a 50-metre exclusion zone and ordering an emergency evacuation. Approximately forty people were evacuated from nearby buildings and homes while a suspected mortar bomb was removed by a bomb squad, before being destroyed in a controlled explosion.

Do you have any information about the bomb that detonated early Saturday morning? Please contact the Operation Birdline investigation team at Eastleigh CID on 101, or the Crimestoppers charity anonymously on 0800 555 111.