Southampton Student Safety

0

As exams come to a close, students are warned to increase their safety precautions. This warning comes after a student was attacked near Portswood, and two Archers Road residents were subjected to unwanted male nudity.

Local police are hunting the serial flasher, who exposes himself wearing nothing but a mask, pointy hat and cape. He has previously approached students at least once before, outside of the Gateley Hall University residence. The latest incident occurred at 2:40am, where two students were  followed up the side path on the Archers Road site. They ran into the halls building which has secure access for some 160 rooms.

Police are advising students to make sure that they do not walk home alone after dark, or that they take a licensed taxi instead. If you see the flasher, you are asked to call Southampton Central Police station (numbers are below) with information. The students describe the man as white, in his early 40s, around 6ft with a large stomach, and wearing a mask, hat and cape that came down to his waist.

The police are taking the incident very seriously and have said: “Despite his unusual disguise this doesn’t take away from the fact what this man did left the two young women shocked and scared. We don’t think this was some kind of joke and are taking it seriously.

“We would like to hear from anyone who thinks they may know who is responsible for this and also from anyone else who has had something similar happen to them but has maybe not reported it yet.”

The University of Southampton are currently offering support to the students affected and are working with the police. A statement from the University highlights that the safety of students and staff is taken seriously, and: “We have also offered those affected by the incident help and support through our First Support team.”

Anyone with information should call PC Chris Collins or PC Andrew Barker at Southampton Central Police Station on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.