Student Design Competition to Run for Second Year

0

Following the success of the student design competition last year, ‘Create Your Campus’ will again be opened up to Southampton students with the winning team receiving £1,500.

This year’s design space is located in the Library at the far end of level 5 and is considerably larger than the design space offered to students last year.

Students will pitch their ideas to a panel of experts who will award 50% of the overall mark, while the remaining 50% will be based on an online vote open to all students. The panel was previously chaired by John Gill, who chairs the Faculty of the Fine Arts in the British School at Rome and included an interior designer, an architect, the President of the Students’ Union and the University’s Director of Estates and Facilities.

When talking about the Creative Campus competition, which ran for the first time last year, Pro Vice-Chancellor of Education, Debra Humphris said “When we asked both the students and the panel from last year, whether we should run it again, there was an overwhelmingly positive yes in response, so we are doing it again this year”.

Last year’s winners, Team Tesseract, will see their designs completed ready for use in Freshers’ Week. Humphris added, “When the students return in October, we want to officially open the room and show how it was turned from paper to reality. I wasn’t on the panel, but I went in to listen to them deliberate for a short amount of time and the panel, who had never met any of the students, were completely blown away by their talent, creative ability and professionalism.”

www.createyourcampus.soton.ac.uk

Competition applications are open from the 27th of September.