University of Southampton Launches Free iPhone App for Prospective Students

0

The University of Southampton has launched a new application for the iPhone which displays the 2011 Undergraduate prospectus and allows prospective students to view detailed information about life at the University.

The app features include campus maps, course listings, entry requirements, information on how to apply and direct contact details to the relevant University departments. There are also leading research stories linked to the University’s main website and a series of downloadable videos about life at Southampton.

The convenience of the app compared to the online or printed prospectus means that students can explore what the University has to offer wherever they are. It is expected that 5% of prospective undergraduates will download the app.

Sophie Dear, Digital Media Relations Manager at the University of Southampton, says: “There are plenty of university apps out there, but many are simply links to the main university website and rely heavily on connectivity, which lets down the overall user experience. This new app gives users the freedom to explore the University of Southampton consistently whenever and wherever they want”.

Future plans for the undergraduate prospectus application are to improve the way it functions and to release it on other phone models such as the Android. Other teams within the University are also making apps for current students, including two Electronics and Computer Science students who are creating an application to deal with room bookings and bus timetabling.