University Housing Clinic is a Continuing Success

0

The University of Southampton Housing Clinic has now been in operation for over two years, providing professional and confidential legal advice in a ‘citizens’ advice-style’ form. Free consultations are available for any student requiring advice on private rented accommodation.

Every year, similar issues involving private rented accommodation arise: first years searching for alternatives to halls; landlord disputes; repair work issues; claiming back deposits and difficulties with other tenants. The Housing Clinic is able to assist with these issues offering a listening ear as well as expert advice. Students are often comforted to know that the Housing Clinic can come to their aid.

The Housing Clinic is run solely on a voluntary basis by a team of second year and final year law students. They work alongside a specialised barrister from 12 College Place Chambers who attends the clinic sessions, ensuring that advice given is accurate and in line with the latest legal developments. All clients have rated the service ‘very good’ or ‘excellent’ with a total of 30 students benefiting from the service in the last year and 11 students being helped via emails for less complicated requests etc.

To make an appointment with the team or for further information e-mail: housingclinic@soton.ac.uk. Urgent enquiries will be dealt with as soon as possible, or students can book an appointment at the monthly clinic sessions held in the law Building on the Highfield Campus (Building 4).