SUSUtv Attend the National Television Awards

0

Last Wednesday members of SUSUtv went to London to watch the National Television Awards at the 02 Arena.  The group of nine students witnessed awards being given to stars of Eastenders, the Inbetweeners and X factor as well as seeing one of the Chilean miners and Matt Cardle on stage.

It was the first time any of the attendees had gone to the National Television Awards and the trip was arranged by first year student Alastair Mogford. He said :

‘Given that the NTA’s are the largest open-to-the-public TV event of the year, it was a fantastic opportunity for us to not only go about a bit of celebrity spotting, but also experience being behind the scenes of such a major live TV production, something that most SUSUtv members aspire to be working on one day.’

Stacey Solemon opened the show and later represented ‘I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here’ when she collected the award for best entertainment show category. Big Brother lost out on what would have been their last award and Davina McCall was in tears when highlights from the last series was played on the big screen.

The NTA’s are voted for by the general public online and Ant and Dec won the prize for best entertainment presenters for the 10th year running. Although they were not at the event due to being at ‘Britain’s Got Talent’ auditions they were shown to the audience on a live video link and the award was collected by Simon Cowell, who also collected the award for ‘The X Factor’ which won best talent show.

Bruce Forsyth was presented with the special recognition award by Stephen Fry. Forsyth almost fooled the audience when he joked ‘This would be a good night to announce my retirement… but I’m not going to”.

Forsyth received a standing ovation, as did Luis Urzu, the last miner to be freed from the mines in the recent disaster in Chile, who presented the award for best drama which went to Waterloo Road.

This Morning was named the winner of best Topical Magazine Show and Top Gear was given the award for  best factual show, which presenter Jeremy Clarkson added “there hasn’t been a fact on Top Gear for seven years now”.

The next event lined up for SUSUtv is a trip to the National Association of Student Television Awards in Loughborough which could see Southampton students taking to the stage to accept their own awards for the television programmes they have produced and been part of this year.