Student Loans targeted by fraudsters in South West

2

Students across the country are being warned about sharing bank details across the internet, following a surge in the number of  emails in the South West of England asking for personal and bank details.

The number of students in the South West revealing their details to the scammers has more than tripled in the last year and the emails are rife in April and May – in timing with the third instalment of the Student Loan.

Student Loans Company’s Security Manager Robert Hurt said:

“We are aware that some students from the South West are being affected by these scam emails and we want to ensure that they do not respond to these.

“We monitor this issue very closely and aim to close phishing sites down as soon as students alert us to them, to protect other students.

“Students need to work with us to ensure their identity and financial details are protected and not compromised.”

The Student Loans Company was recently alerted to a phishing scam which affected around 50 students from Sheffield Hallam university. They are working with the University to investigate the extent of this and the police have been informed.

They also inform students that they will:

– Never ask to update your bank details
– Never ask you to verify your account details
– Never ask you to click a link, always type the address yourself: www.direct.gov.uk/studentfinance
– Never ask you to answer combinations on the same screen i.e Your Customer Reference
– Number and Password on the same screen
– Never provide you with a choice of secret questions. The Student Loans Company will only ever ask you the question you gave them.
– Never ask you to update items such as date of birth or provide your email address password.

Students of Southampton have yet to be targeted, but with the third instalment of the Student Loan just weeks away, it is being made very clear that students should not respond to emails asking for these details.

Afternoon! Welcome to my political world, reporting on all things studenty and politics-like. I do most of my writing whilst browsing the Internet when I should be doing other things, and I do love a good stat, so do expect links and numbers that are meaningless yet informative. Enjoy!

I got one of these e-mails a fortnight ago, but realised pretty quickly it was a scam. Especially as it came through to an address I knew I hadn’t signed up with.
    Should I e-mail it on or contact anyone about it, Sasha? Thanks.x.

Sasha Watson

Hi Alex, the Student Loans press release had a link to a website about phishing – but after clicking, it didnt work. Reading the next line about typing in full web addresses yourself, I wasn’t sure if it wasn’t some sort of ironic test. I’ve emailed Student Loans and am waiting on a response – if you want to forward that email to s.watson@soton.ac.uk, we’ll take it from there!

Thanks,
    Sasha