SUSUtv picks up two NaSTA Awards

6

The National Student Television Association (NaSTA) Awards 2011 were held last night (Saturday 9th) at Loughborough Students’ Union. LSTV of Leeds stole the show, but SUSUtv managed to pick up two awards for itself, too.

Expectations and excitement were high as a minibus full of SUSUtv committee members, crew and presenters made its way up to Loughborough from Southampton for this year’s NaSTA Awards, described by presenter Ore Oduba as “the Oscars of student television”. SUSUtv was nominated for awards in all categories, and ended up winning two and receiving “highly commended” for two more.

University of Leeds station LSTV was the star of the show, picking up a total of seven of the 21 awards including Best Brodcaster. Three stations won two awards each — UniTV of the University of Sussex, hosts LSUTV of Loughborough University and our very own SUSUtv of the University of Southampton — and a further eight stations each won one award.

The first mention of SUSUtv on the night came in the category of Best Video-to-Music, for which the station had entered the Dom Kullander-directed music video for local band Arp Attack’s song “Crocodile Tears”. The video received the “highly commended” accolade in the category, and Kullander picked up the trophy himself. SUSUtv was also highly commended in the category of Best Animation, for which it entered the video “Spoon River Rejects“, written and produced by Tom Fummo.

Shortly later, SUSUtv picked up its first NaSTA Award in history when it won the category of Best Drama Programme for “Flat 443“, which was collected by Director Carly Brown, a first-year English Literature student. Brown dedicated the award to James Dennis, who starred in the film as “Steve”. Our station made it two just three categories later, when it won the award for Best Comedy with “Petty Crimes“. Co-Directors and Producers Andreas Day and Alastair “Moggy” Mogford, both first-year students, picked up the award in fits of excitement and pride, seeming shocked that the first episode of their first production had won the award.

Perhaps shockingly, the award for Best Live Programme eluded SUSUtv; having entered last year’s elections results night live programme, the team were quietly confident of a win (or at least a “highly commended”) as the broadcasters of the first high-definition live programme in UK student television history. LSUTV won the award, however (although did thank SUSUtv for lending them some equipment!), with Warwick TV receiving the second prize. SUSUtv’s most popular production, “Simply Students“, also missed out on the two awards for which it was entered: the Open Category and Best Title Sequence.

Overall, SUSUtv should be proud of its achievements at this year’s NaSTAs, having won two hotly-contested awards and receiving commendations for two more. Next year it can only do better, as the station is always growing and improving its content, including this year’s elections results night which was watched reportedly by over 10,000 people, with thousands more failing to tune in due to server overload. Congratulations to SUSUtv, and everyone involved in the production of all its nominated and winning content.

On Sunday 10th, SUSUtv competed against NUTS of Nottingham University and LUTube of the University of Leeds for the chance to host next year’s NaSTA Awards ceremony. Unfortunately it was NUTS that won this race, which means that SUSUtv will be travelling up north again next year to see what awards they have won.

Full results:

• Best Ident: winner RU:ON, highly commended NTV
  • Best Video-to-Music: winner XTV, highly commended SUSUtv
  • Best Freshers’ Coverage: winner UniTV, highly commended LUST
  • Best Animation: winner Met TV, highly commended SUSUtv
  • Best Music Programme: winner LSTV, highly commended CUTV
  • Best Factual Programme: winner LSTV, highly commended LSUTV
  • Best Sport Programme: winner LSUTV, highly commended CUTV
  • Best Drama: winner SUSUtv, highly commended NUTS
  • Best Light Entertainment Programme: winner LSTV, highly commended STOIC TV and XTV
  • Best Station Marketing: winner LSTV, highly commended NUTS and SXTV
  • Best Comedy: winner SUSUtv, highly commended NTV
  • Best News Programme: winner Trent TV, highly commended QMTV
  • Open Category: winner LSTV, highly commended UniTV
  • Best Documentary: winner LSTV, highly commended Demon TV
  • Best Title Sequence: winner UniTV, highly commended LSUTV and STOIC TV
  • Best Live Programme: winner LSUTV, highly commended Warwick TV
  • Best Technical Achivement: winner YSTV, highly commended MADTV
  • Best On-Screen Female: winner Harriet Brampton (NUTS), highly commended Danielle Bevan-Jones (NTV) and Briony Lammas (LSUTV)
  • Best On-Screen Male: winner Chris Wells (Demon TV), highly commended James Goldburn (LSUTV)
  • Tim Marshall Award for Special Recognition: winner CUTV, highly commended NU:TV
  • Best Broadcaster: winner LSTV, highly commended YSTV

You can check out all of SUSUtv’s photos from the weekend here.

“Co-Directors and Producers Andreas Day and Alastair “Moggy” Mogford, both first-year students, picked up the award in fits of excitement and pride, seeming shocked that the first episode of their first production had won the award.”

You weren’t there Andre, but you couldn’t have put it any more accurate! 🙂

Andre Pusey

Haha, no need to point out that I wasn’t there! 🙁 Gutted, but was so bloomin’ proud when you won that award, and it was great to see how happy you were! Thanks for the praise.

Andreas Day

The official NaSTA photos do indeed portray this description, André (A.K.A we were slightly beside ourselves and unsure what to do on stage!)

Lovely stuff Andre- thanks for the fast turn around! And amazing work with live blog of the night too- more popular than the actual stream I hear?!

This was a truly amazing weekend which I think we all loved, SUSUtv has become so amazing this year and we know its only going to continue to get better, and bring us many more awards!

For further details/gossip of the weekend and interviews with SUSUtv members (including phone calls with winners Andreas and Moggy) tune into Red Alert tomorrow at 11am on SURGE radio!!