Wessex Scene AGM Announced

1

The Wessex Scene’s 2011 Annual General Meeting will be held at 6pm-8pm on Thursday 19th May in Building 42, Meeting Room 2 (by the squash courts).

There will be 19 editorial positions up for grabs. Anyone can run for a position, but you must have written an article for the magazine or website this academic year in order to vote.

Every candidate will have one minute to explain why they are the right for the job, before answering brief questions from the audience. A vote will be then held immediately after all candidates have spoken.

The running order will be as it is seen below.  You can only run for a maximum of two positions (and win just one!), though any uncontested positions will be re-opened at the end. If you are unable to attend, you can run for a position via a webcam on the night or elect a friend to make a minute’s speech on your behalf.

As the elected Editor for 2011/2012, I’d like to take this opportunity to encourage anyone reading this to seriously consider running for an editorial position.

All the roles will require a lot of dedication throughout the next academic year and the Wessex Scene will become a big part of your life.

But for those of you who are willing to put the time and effort in, an editorial position will almost certainly be the most exciting thing you do at University. You’ll work with incredibly enthusiastic people and have a lot of fun with them. And you’ll also be massively improving your CV whilst genuinely ‘making the most of uni’. Some people do postgraduate courses just to get / stay on the team!

Please note that you do not have to be a writer to be involved with the Wessex Scene next year. We will be looking for web technicians, cartoonists, photographers, publicity officers, statisticians, graphic designers and more. There are several editorial positions which do not require writers – in fact, section editors don’t even have an obligation to write original content themselves.

If you are interested in being involved in any capacity with the Wessex Scene next year – editor or otherwise – please do come to the AGM and get your face known!

Click here for the full list of positions. When you have decided which you would like to run for, please email editor@soton.ac.uk.

Feel free to leave questions and comments below.

Mike is the Editor of the Wessex Scene for 2011/2012 after fulfilling the role of Features Editor in 2010/2011. Apart from taking charge of the ever-expanding Scene, Mike enjoys writing for a broad range of the sections, though his heart truly lies in reporting and Features.