Winchester’s Finest Day of the Year

2

And so, on the hottest day of October ever, in the cool shade of Winchester’s gleaming cathedral, the crowds gathered for the Harvest Festival. 

The stalls were bursting with local produce including various meats, vegetables and cheeses; it was a sensory overload and the hogs weren’t the only things roasting in the heat of the day. One in particular was the award winning Loosehanger Cheeses, who created handmade cheeses with unique flavour combinations like chilli with nettle, and beer with pepper, which came with the advise to not drive having eaten too much cheese.

All of the food available, including these cheeses, were reasonably priced, considering the superior quality to standard food, which, let’s face it, is usually Tesco value. And those who’ve hit hard times, you can still fill up for free on all the free samples if you’re feeling cheeky.
In addition to the wide variety of food, there were groups of musicians, including Winchester Music School’s finest, and the quirky Folkosaurus, who prepared with homemade instruments consisting of pans and cook bottles.
As if it couldn’t get any better there was a little petting zoo for the young at heart, and a horse drawn carriage giving a tour of Winchester.

This is perfect for a gentle afternoon and is continuing over the whole weekend so take a trip down to experience Hampshire’s organic county. For those interested, there’s a monthly farmers market which takes place on the 2nd Sunday of each month. The next one is on the 9th October, perfect for when the parents come down to prove that the student lifestyle isn’t all super noodles and booze.

Written by Sarah Benson, Mike Thebridge and Jessica Taylor

Great article and review and glad to see a very appropriate photo. 🙂

Farmers market is also on the last Sunday of the month as well, so really it’s fortnightly.