The Museum of Everything Reviewed

1

The door to Selfridges swings open with the shining reflection of black cabs on the glass. You can see the awe on people’s faces as their pace slows down to take in the grandeur. It’s time to make sure that those bags are clasped tightly to avoid an expensive accident.

Generally an arty day in London can lead you all over the capital, to and fro from museum to gallery. But the Museum of Everything is set up in Selfridges, one of London’s biggest departmental stores. What beats having a browse around a swanky looking shop with some art thrown in?

The entrance into the museum is grand and inviting, a far contrast to the inside. After a warm smile and a sticker later, guests are to travel through a world of intrigue. At first, give it time to just browse around.

Notably after a quick fifteen-minute walk around people drifted, hardly even glancing at the art work but just browsing politely wearing a rather dissatisfied look. The hype of the museum really does not live up to the experience. Even the shop scares crowds away as they glance at the price and make a sharp exit.

We had high expectations, even the name promotes itself alone. The work seemed very much on one wave length, which for an art museum is quite rare. Instead of having a variety of different styles to look at it was all very much on a monotone level. By keeping the art work at a moderate pace it was not exciting for viewers. We appreciate things when they are slightly different and quirky. After all isn’t the whole point in art for pushing boundaries and experimenting to their full potential?

Though, on a perk, if you look around the food hall longingly enough you may just find that Krispy Krème are giving away free samples. Perhaps visiting Selfridges isn’t such a bad idea after all.

Dear Reviewer,

Are you blind? Are you deaf? Because you seem to have completely missed the point!

The MoE is all about the blind and the deaf. Had you stopped thinking about your stomach for a minute, you would have understood. These are not any old artworks, these are the artworks of people with learning issues, many of whom only speak through their art. It is fascinating, obsessive, unique work, some of the greatest things in London today.

You were there wanting to be visually entertained. You didn’t even bother to be engaged. Next time, read the words, watch the films, and if you must put pen to paper, understand what you see!

Janice from Fulham