Skunks at the Ultimate Regional Competition

0

The University’s Ultimate Team, the Skunks headed to Plymouth last weekend to compete in the Open Regional Competition. They were faced with some tough competition as the South West region is one of the strongest in the country. Teams came from as far away as Cardiff, Bristol, UWE, Bath, Swansea, Plymouth, Exeter, Cornwall and Bournemouth.

All teams fought to be in the Top 3 as these teams earned places in the Division 1 National Competiton. Teams which ranked 4th-6th in this competition gained a place in the Division 2 National Competition.

The Skunks 1st team finished 2nd, narrowly losing to old rivals Exeter 1 (team name: Uriel) in the final which resulted in 2-0. There was very low scoring due to lots of strong defence. However the team, having ranked in the top 3, now have high hopes for the Division 1 Nationals on 26th and 27th November.

Skunks 2nd team finished 7th, losing to Bath 1st (team name BLT) in the final for 6th and 7th place. Unfortunately they just missing out on a place in the Division 2 Nationals. However, at the end of the tournament, they were the highest placed 2nd team in the region after having beaten several first teams along the way.

The Skunks 3rd team finished 19th. It was a great weekend for a team of young players, beating their seeding and causing several upsets along the way. Alex Burke, Vice President thinks they have all shown ‘lots of promise for the future.’ Bring on the Nationals!

I come from South West London and am studying English at Southampton. I am interested in journalism and considering it as a career after my degree. I have interests in Sports and Music and have written for a sports magazine called Sportsister before. I am keen to get involved in as much as possible whilst at Uni and writing about my experiences could be a very rewarding thing. :)