£50m Collected by Universities in Library Fines

1

Universities across the country have collected £50m in library fines in the past six years.

Fining students for late or damaged books raised almost £2million at Leeds University since the academic year 2004/2005, who top the national list of 101 institutions.

Manchester University came in second with £1.3million collected, with the University of Wolverhampton in third place.

Southampton students do not face such penalties for overdue resources at Hartley Library. Instead, the university imposes 7-day bans on students whose items are overdue.

Generally students across the country are fined as little as 10p per day for overdue texts, although this can rise to £1 per day.

Some universities have decided to bar students from graduating until their fines are paid. At Exeter University, a fine of just £5 outstanding is enough to delay degree certification.

The statistics were released after freedom of information requests to all Britain’s Universities by the Press Association.

It was also revealed that close neighbour Southampton Solent University has lost 6,126 books in the past six years, placing them tenth in the list for most unaccounted  texts.

I think the way the University of Southampton handles overdue items is great. A ban is much better encouragement to bring items back on time and does not mean students are afraid of returning items and facing large fines.