SUSU Sabbatical Elections 2012 officially announced

2

The familiar 'e' is back for another year...

Last week, SUSU officially announced the 2012 Sabbatical and Trustee Elections. Over the next month, candidates will be able to nominate themselves for a variety of positions, culminating in a grand results night in The Cube on March 1st.

Last year, the Elections brought in a record 7256 votes – approximately a 30% turnout – and the 2012 Elections are expected to exceed this.

In a blog post, the current VP Communications, Joe Mclo, calls the Elections week “the most exciting week in the Union calendar”.

There will be nine elections for six sabbatical positions, and six trustee positions. They are:

• Union President
  • VP Communications
  • VP Student Engagement
  • VP Academic Affairs
  • VP Sports Development
  • VP Welfare & Communities
  • Trustee (Ethical & Environmental Officer)
  • Trustee (Equality & Diversity Officer)
  • Student Trustees (without portfolio) (x4 positions)

Nominations for these positions at SUSU will open on February 6th, and close 10 days later. In this time, any SUSU member can nominate themselves – this includes the current sabbaticals who may wish to re-run.

Voting will be open for four days between the 27th February and 1st March, and all SUSU members (basically all students at Southampton University) are encouraged and eligible to vote.

Sabbaticals effectively run and lead the Student’s Union and are full time, paid positions which last a year – starting in late June 2012. Trustees on the other hand, are part time unpaid roles that will be legally responsible for ensuring that the Union operates to standards set by parliament and the Charity Commission.

Last year, a massive 28 candidates ran over the seven sabbatical positions available, which led to an exciting results night drawing in over 10,000 viewers on SUSUtv’s live stream.

A number of changes have been made to this years’ Elections.

• Due to the Autumn 2011 by-election which included the sabbatical for VP Winchester and an ongoing review, the position will not be put up for nominations in this same election period.
  • Also, for the first time ever, candidates for all the sabbatical positions will attend live debates following the success of last year’s Presidential Debate. Details of this are still to be confirmed.
  • As previously reported by The Wessex Scene, the current SUSU President is re-running and therefore will not be able to fulfill duties as the Returning Officer. An external returning officer will instead be decided in the coming weeks by Elections Committee.

All the information about the elections, videos and more, can be found at susu.org/elections.

Traditionally, the Elections spirit at Southampton University is widespread and joyous. Candidates will start campaigning on February 23rd and the entire campus will be covered in colour and full of candidates wishing for your vote. Lecture shout outs will be rife, and the party atmosphere will be provided by SURGE Radio, broadcasting live on FM Radio on the concourse.

There will be extensive media coverage throughout February here at The Wessex Scene, as well as videos from SUSUtv and news updates on Surge Radio.