Catching Up With VP Comms Candidate, David Gilani.

0

The Wessex Scene’s David Martin grabs the opportunity to talk to current Surge Station Manager and current nominee for the VP Communications role, David Gilani.

Everything that I’ve done in the last three years has come into the perfect SUSU position that is VP Comms.

The first thing we discussed was what the role meant to him.

For me, I suppose its everything that I’ve done in the last three years has come into the perfect SUSU position that is VP Comms. Everything I’ve done with the media and every media department I’ve been part of and supported; that all goes straight into the remit that is VP Comms. I suppose the role develops into  three main areas, well maybe four areas; communications, media and democracy. This all leads on to student representation. We’ve [VP Comms candidates] got to make sure that every student officer is supported in their campaigns and my manifesto goes into a lot of different areas, because you want to make sure you can support.

Speaking about his campaign, David gave us a detailed plan of his strategy.

Honestly, my main way will be through lecture shout-outs. I think lectures are great strategically, but also from a SUSU standpoint, going to lectures you get to talk to everyone at university potentially. This is as opposed to at a society meeting, or standing on the red brick where you’ll only get people involved in SUSU or people involved in societies. Also I didn’t want this election to be something where I try and become a character that I don’t really believe in, so I thought blue’s my favourite colour, I’ll go for that as my campaign colour!

David also gives us a brief insight into his prominent campaign issues.

The one thing that SUSU can really offer to students is a place to come and do what they love to do.

The one thing that SUSU can really offer to students is a place to come and do what they love to do, and if they can find those university spaces and rooms easily, no matter what their size, they can get on with what they want to do without going through loads of red tape.

Also another main point of mine is to support student officers with campaigns. Most students at Southampton will either have JCR representation, will be a member of a society, the AU,  the Performing Arts or part of media. All of these areas will probably affect most students and it’s supporting these officers which I think has been missed this year.

Talking about his experience, David talks about it how it has shaped his campaign and manifesto.

I’ve spoken to hundreds of different people, who have worked in not only media, but all around SUSU.

Oh, I’m really not sure where to begin! I’ve got direct experience in supporting the media outlets and also in democracy within SUSU. All I can say is to direct people to the ‘Experience’ section of my manifesto. I’ve split into areas relevant to the role and also fun things I’ve done here and I think it really speaks for itself. I’ve spoken to hundreds of different people, who have worked in not only media, but all around SUSU. This means that the points I try to make and the policies I’ve got aren’t just mine but they’re what other people want to happen.

David also addresses questions surrounding his role as a media ‘insider’

It’s a point that’s been raised before. I think the main thing is though that because I have so much experience in media, and the remit involves supporting media, whoever wins, I can support them efficiently and without taking up too much of my time. Then I can move on quickly to the mass of other things important in this role.

We also discuss why sites is missing from his manifesto.

I didn’t want to promise anything from the start that is unrealistic.

On one level, it is because I haven’t had enough chances to talk to people about it and I didn’t want to promise anything from the start that is unrealistic. I do want to eventually include something for every student regardless of whether they are an international or post-graduate or on different sites. To show there is some hope for it, if I do win between now and June, I will be talking to students to find out more about what they really want So there is a chance in those three months to find out really how the VP Comms can support sites.

Finally, David was asked to provide a twenty second summary of his manifesto.

To everyone reading this right now, this manifesto is formed from everyone I’ve spoken to over the last three years and that’s why I’m so proud of it. It tries to do something which is achievable and doesn’t just promises things because they look catchy, it tries to look at something that will hope every student in a different way and as I’ve put at the very end, I’ve written how I’m going to achieve this through one year in office, and that’s why I think you should vote for it.

To read the interview with the other candidate for this position, Chloe Richardson, click here.