Woman Sexually Assaulted in Portswood

8

A 20-year-old female student was sexually assaulted by a man claiming to have a knife, in Portswood last night.

The attack took place in an alleyway next to Portswood Cycles, opposite Trago Lounge, on St Denys Road at around 10.30pm.

The victim was allegedly sexually assaulted after being grabbed and pushed to the ground by a man who told her he had a knife.

The attacker was described as ‘around 5ft 8ins tall and wearing a leather or hard material black jacket’.

The police are investigating whether the incident last night could be linked to a series of attacks on women in the Portswood area of Southampton just three weeks ago.

The alleyway has today been cordoned off by the police, in order to look for forensic clues and establish whether the incidents are linked.

If anyone has any further information they should phone 101, or can anonymously call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Yara Silva

It is not copy and pasted from the Daily Echo but of course there are similarities as the same story is being reported on. Thanks 🙂

Only a ignorant moron and a coward would criticise an article raising awarness on sexual assaults in the local area anonymously. Bigger picture mate.

Everyone’s seen the KONY 2012 video and his a criminal thousands of miles away who’s crimes barely affect those in the student community.

The guy doing these attacks lives in Portswood and his horrific crimes are affecting those amongst our community. We need to stand up and do something about it!!! This has to stop and maybe we should be the ones initiating the change.

jimbob

@Yara Silva Perhaps based on same police press release??

Concerned student

Why has the University not sent a message about this to every student email account yet? It’s important to make everyone aware as soon as possible. Not everyone reads the news and I feel they have a certain obligation to inform everyone.

Southampton University Wing Chun Club

In light of the several sexual assault and mugging cases that have occurred recently, the Southampton University Wing Chun Club will be having a special Blade Awareness Workshop after the Easter holidays to teach students about blade awareness and how to escape a difficult situation when confronted by an attacker who has a knife. This session is highly recommended for female students who are worried for their safety and would like to learn how to protect themselves in a relatively short period of time. The price for this session will be £4. See you there! https://www.facebook.com/events/246950252066038/

A dreadful incident, and there appeared to be a series of such incidents at around this time. Has anyone been caught and prosecuted for these attacks as yet?

Not putting any blame upon the victim, people should always of course try to take precautions to be safe, and not put themsleves in a situation where they are exposed to undue risk (eg do not walk home alone, do not have too much to drink, use night buses or the taxi scheme, try not to be out TOO late, or walk through or adjacent to unlit areas or parks on your own) and be reassured that Portswood does not in the main have unduly high crime rates compared to the national average and to other areas where large numbers of students socialise late at night.

See this excellent article by Alice Gray:

http://www.wessexscene.co.uk/features/2012/05/30/in-terms-of-crime-levels-just-how-bad-is-portswood-really/