Engineers Win Intra-Mural 5-a-side Football League

0

From left: Reza Hormozi, Alvaro Sanchez, Amir Abbasian, Reece Gaj,Mostafa Slm, Caique Lima, Mehdi hendijani, Lasse Overlid

The Engineers 5-a-side football team has won the University of Southampton’s intra-mural competition. The team played Connaught Veterans FC in a hard fought final on the 13th March, and were crowned overall tournament winners with a 6-2 victory.

The game was played at 12 0’clock on the indoor football pitch within the student union building, with two fast-paced 15 minutes halves making up the final.

At half time, Engineers had made a two goal lead. They looked dangerous throughout, with many athletic saves having to be made by the Connaught Vets goalkeeper to keep them in the game. In the second half, the Engineers continued as they began, as they added another goal to the tally, but Connaught Vets were not quite done yet, as two goals hinted at a late resurgence, with the score at 3-2.

However, this was not to be, as the Engineers bounced back with three goals in quick succession to take their lead to a convincing 6-2 final score.

Engineers are therefore crowned 5-a-side football Intra Mural champions for the 2011-12 winter season.

The Engineers will be entering the Summer league in an attempt to retain their small-sided football champions title.

The league is run yearly by the Jubilee Sports centre, with games being played from November in a league format, from which the top teams continue into the knockout stages.

Subscription for the Summer 6-a-side league is now open until the 16th March, so head to www.sportrec.soton.ac.uk for more details on this and other sport leagues.