Southampton FC Release Eleven Players

7

In preparation for their first season back in the Premier League since 2005, Southampton Football Club have announced their ‘retained and released’ list, which includes eleven players to depart from the club at the beginning of the new campaign.

In his three seasons at the club, David Connolly made over 65 appearances for Southampton

The list includes seven members of this season’s first team squad, as well as four members of the club’s youth system. Most notable to be released is Irish striker David Connolly, who this season scored six goals from 26 appearances including three goals in the opening three matches of the year. With high-class strikers like Rickie Lambert, newly fit Lee Barnard and recent addition Billy Sharp in the wings however, as well as the obligatory new signings which will come with promotion, Connolly would likely have struggled to make it into the starting lineup this season.

Other players to be released include substitute goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski, who played in every one of the club’s cup games this season, and defender Radhi Jaidi, who is retiring from football at the age of 36 after spending his last three seasons at Southampton. Bialkowski has struggled in the shadow of star goalkeeper Kelvin Davis since joining the club way back in 2006, and Jaidi made no appearances in his final season at St Mary’s due to the well-established defensive duo of José Fonte and Jos Hooiveld.

Before moving to Southampton in 2009, Radhi Jaidi played in the Premier League and the Championship for Bolton Wanderers and Birmingham City

The announcement also comes with the news of additions to the squad from the Academy, and the signing of professional contracts by those on the club’s scholarship programme. Young Player of the Season James Ward-Prowse, and defenders Luke Shaw and Jack Stephens are amongst the list of first team promotions, remaining in the squad for a second season after moving up from the under-21s last season and making a handful of appearances between them.

At the beginning of last season’s successful Championship campaign, only six players were released, none of whom were first team starters. The season before, when the club were in League One, a massive 15 players were let go, including first choice defender Lloyd James and veteran midfielder Paul Wotton.

Players released

• Bartosz Bialkowski
  • David Connolly
  • Harlee Dean
  • Ryan Doble
  • Lee Holmes
  • Radhi Jaidi
  • Aarran Racine

Scholars released

• Dan Bowman
  • Jack Dovey
  • Steve Mowthorpe
  • Conor O’Sullivan

Scholars offered professional contracts

• Joe Curtis
  • Chris Johns
  • Bevis Mugabi
  • Matt Young

Scholars promoted to first team

• Calum Chambers
  • Luke Shaw
  • Jack Stephens
  • James Ward-Prowse

Jack Stephens is a right back and you missed out Calum Chambers, a right winger who also moves up to the first team. Lee Holmes was also released and as much as I like him Lee Barnard is not a high class striker and will likely be sold in the coming summer.

André Pusey

If you’ll notice, I put Ward-Prowse, Shaw and Stephens as “amongst the list of first team promotions”, inferring further players in that group. Unfortunately I did forget to put the full list at the bottom. Stephens position updated.

André Pusey

*implying, oh my god…

They are some good signings for Southampton but we need to bring in more players if we are going to stay in the premier league next season as well the players we have sold are good we need to make sure we don’t get rid of players like Lambert, hooiveld, Lallana, and jack cork they are all really good players with experience and they will always play really well no matter who they play for.