Graphic Arts Degree Show 2012

0

With the entire WSA Campus turned into an exhibition space, Sarah Benson tells us about the Private View of the BA Graphic Arts Degree show:

From magazines to illustrations to toilet paper designs, the Graphic Arts degree show had it all.

By Sarah Benson

As a second year graphic artist looking towards my own degree show, I found the work both inspiring and daunting.  It was hard not to be dazzled by the standard of work through the entire show. With the beautiful finishing of pieces on display and the majority of people having business cards to accompany their work, there was a great sense of professionalism.

My personal favourites included Liam Smith’s T-shirt illustrations, Posha Liang’s typeface design and branding collections from those such as Oliver Todd. Particularly with these branding packages, the consistency of the designs that students had managed to create was very impressive!

Thursday was also the launch of Soapbox Press, a company set up by Emily Cotton, Nicola Manuel, and Piero Regnante. They were selling their first publication, the Winchester Journals, a book that features extracts from students’ reflective journal summaries. Emily Cotton described Soapbox Press as being “a platform for the creative voice”, and, after the success of their sales in the degree show, they are hoping to take the Winchester Journals on to various stores and stockists.

The combination of the standard of work and stalls selling prints and publications gave the show a vibrant and dynamic atmosphere.

These are exciting times for the third years of Winchester School of Art, and I’m willing to bet that we can expect big things for many of those exhibiting work. The scarily exciting challenge now remains for next years show to be at the same high level as this one has been!

The Soapbox Press -www.soapboxpress.co.uk
Photography by Hamish Dinsdale:
Nicola Manuel

Yi Shao
Photography by Sarah Benson

Liam Smith

Asma Nazir

2nd Year studying Graphic Arts (Illustration)