London Men’s Fashion Week

0

By Diogo Lopes

The first London Collections: Men has come to an end, but did it live up to its big expectations?

Times are changing and men are becoming more fashionable, so these events are a necessity in an evolving fashionable society. This past week, we saw some of the brightest and most exciting menswear designers, British heritage brands and international names brought together for a three day show that celebrated men’s fashion. The shows and events took place at venues across London with The Hospital Club becoming the main location for London Collections: Men.

Christopher Shannon, AW12
(Photographer: Billa Baldwin)

Iconic British brands such as Margaret Howell, Hackett, and Pringle of Scotland hosted presentations alongside a selection of heritage brands and tailors from London’s valued Savile Row.  With other designers such as Paul Smith, Burberry and Thom Brown also presenting and hosting collection across London, this event was breakthrough in terms of demonstrating the growth of menswear in Britain. In recent years, global menswear sales have had a significant increase in sales with a 9% rise to £19bn in 2011 compared to £18bn sales of the previous year. (Source www.wwd.com)

Matthew Miller, AW12
(Photographer: Billa Baldwin)

Every fashion week is also a great opportunity to look at current trends and what other people are wearing on the streets. Style has been developing in our streets and there are fantastic photographers such as Tommy Ton (jakandjil.com), Liam Goslett (liamsawthis.com) and Nam (streetfsn.blogspot.co.uk) who capture the energy and individuality that started with Terry Jones in the 1980s.

Photo by Liam Goslett

After this week, I believe everyone is very anxious to know if events like these are going to happen more often in London and in other cities such as New York, Paris and Milan. I surely hope so.

Don’t forget to also check out Pitti Uomo for another insight of what’s coming up in the next couple of seasons!

2nd Year studying Graphic Arts (Illustration)