iSolutions – We’re Sorry You Couldn’t Access Your Marks

0

The University’s ICT department have apologised for the problems encountered by students attempting to access their exam marks on 22nd June.

iSolutions issued the apology, and ‘have conducted a thorough review of the situation’ from which they claim to have ‘generated a number of options which will ensure that this situation will not happen again.’ However – if failure did occur does occur – the statement also made clear that ‘options include providing a much clearer message to alert you should this service become unavailable again’.

The cause of the problems is said to have been the result of ‘an exceptional number of attempts to access the system’ on the morning of the marks being released. Results were released through the Student Record System Self-Service system in SUSSED, with large numbers of students using the service at the same time in the hope of accessing their marks.

The statement read:

We would like to openly say sorry for the trouble that you may have experienced on 22 June 2012, when attempting to log on to access your exam marks. The issue was caused as a result of an exceptional number of attempts to access the system.  The service was recovered later that afternoon through limiting the number of available connections.

Following the incident, iSolutions have conducted a thorough review of the situation and working with Student Administration, have generated a number of options which will ensure that this situation will not happen again.  Options include providing a much clearer message to alert you should this service become unavailable again.

Students hope that the review does ensure that a repeat incident does not occur, as the system is as crucial in the collecting of results as it is in the submitting of coursework towards the final grade of students’ degrees – in which a failure of the system could prove more stressful and damaging to a student’s degree.

The apology comes as the University works to build a new Data centre off campus. It is hoped that the new facilities will cope much better with the ever-increasing data use at the University and be more resilient when faced with pressures such as exam results being released.