The Premier League Returns!

0

Wessex Scene Sport takes a look at the up-coming premier league season with a series of articles on the top teams (and Southampton!). 

The London 2012 Olympics have packed up now and the circus has embarked on its four year journey to Rio de Janeiro, capping off a very special summer for sport. Whilst many are sad to find that there is no sport to watch on TV, here at Wessex Scene Sport we are excited about the football season. The sports writers have teamed up to bring you a quick overview of the top teams in the Barclays Premiership for the coming season in our ‘Premiership Preseason’ series.

Every season they say the league is the most exciting for years, but there is a lot of anticipation following the drama of last season. United will be hungry after having the title swiped from under their noses by a City team that are going from strength to strength, a newly bolstered Chelsea side look to reassert their dominance over the league and Arsenal line-up with a formidable new attacking force

Andreas Villas Boas is having another crack at the Premiership with a strong Spurs squad and last season’s surprise story Newcastle look to emulate last season’s success. Liverpool fans will be hoping new manager Brendan Rogers can drum up some silverware for the club after a strong tenure at Swansea City last season. Our home club: Southampton won’t have such lofty ambitions but will be looking to tie themselves to the mast and weather the difficult season ahead, hoping finish outside of the relegation zone, who knows, they might surprise us all!

It’s impossible to call. There will be twists, turns, injuries, comebacks, capitulations, controversial decisions, victory and defeat. The title looks to be tantalisingly within reach for most top teams – but that is the magic of pre-season speculation. It all kicks off this weekend!

I study history. I like sport.