Police seek witnesses to Portswood Road attempted robbery

0

Witnesses who may have seen two men attempt to steal shop takings from a 20-year old man in the B&Q car park on the morning of Monday 10th September, are being asked to come forward by detectives in Bitterne.

At 9.20am, the victim was carrying shop takings in a yellow cash bag to his car in order to deposit them at the Post Office. As he climbed the steps to the car park in Mayfield Road, he was approached by two men. One, described by Police as 6ft tall, 20-22 years old, Asian, demanded the money from the shop worker. He was wearing dark trousers or jeans, a grey zip-up hoodie with the hood up, trainers that may have been white, and his face was partially covered by a black scarf. The other man sprayed the victim’s eyes with an unknown substance.

After a struggle, the victim managed to keep hold of the cash bag and remained unharmed, whilst the two offenders ran down Mayfield Road; in the opposite direction of B&Q.

Detective Constable Olivia Lucas said in a press release today that: “It was a bright morning, and the area would have busy at that time of day.”

She is appealing for information from anyone who saw the offence, the two offenders sitting behind a wall on the way to the B&Q car park before the offence or anyone who saw them fleeing down Mayfield Road.

Anyone with information is asked to contact DC Lucas at Bitterne CID on 101 or call the anonymous Crimestoppers charity line on  0800 555 111.