Vintage: Winchester’s Best Kept Secrets

2

Over the last decade, vintage clothing and accessories have become increasingly popular amongst fashion followers. Not only does this trend allow people to create a more individual style, it’s also a way to recycle clothes from eras gone by. Vintage items, in general, are of a high quality and are usually sold at lower prices – as a student what’s not to love about that! Although the trend may have been influenced by A-list celebrities, such as Sarah Jessica Parker and Kate Moss, it’s also a great way to save money, and maybe even the planet, whilst looking good.

Despite the small city centre, Winchester is home to a whole array of brilliant shops and boutiques, and the quality of the vintage stores are exceptional. One of the top vintage sellers in Winchester is Fab Vintage. Previously run as a market stall, it is now a permanent fixture for the shoppers of Winchester to browse six days a week. The store offers a stunning selection of 1950’s to 1980’s clothing and accessories as well as furniture, glassware and pottery. If that’s not enough reason to visit, students are also offered a discount all year round – an added bonus! To find the store, head towards the Brooks Shopping Centre and turn down the Kings Walk, Fab Vintage is situated here.

Another vintage gem in Winchester is Charming Magpies. The independent boutique sells eye-catching clothing and accessories for both women and men. The items are handpicked for maximum individuality, the highest quality and to ensure they’re in the best condition. With pieces ranging from glamorous 1920’s evening dresses to insanely cool 1980’s leather jackets, everyone’s bound to find something they can incorporate into their wardrobe. Students can also benefit from a discount here too! To get to the store, turn off the high street at W H Smith and continue until you come to Stonemasons Courtyard, (where Charming Magpies is located) about half way down Parchment Street.

Not only does Winchester have these gorgeous vintage stores, it is also one of the cities to host The Vintage Fair. The fair is held in Winchester Guildhall and boasts 40 stalls selling womenswear, menswear, accessories, jewellery and home ware. Other features which have made an appearance at previous fairs are a vintage beauty parlour, vintage tea rooms and live music acts. Although there is not currently a date set for the next event, The Vintage Fair arrives in Winchester two to three times a year. To be sure not to miss out on the next occasion, keep up to date with their Facebook page.

What’s more, every first Sunday of the month there’s a Vintage and Retro Market to explore. It’s open from 10am to 4pm and is held close to the Brooks Shopping Centre. The market presents a great opportunity to purchase all sorts of vintage items including clothes, home ware and vinyl records. With such an established vintage scene, Winchester is clearly a fashion forward city and is definitely the place to go for the best vintage finds!

I would just like to add to this article that I run a vintage jewellery stall in Winchester on the 1st & 3rd Sunday of every month- we are a mother and daughter team called Forage & Find.

Think jewellery made from Edwardian pocketwatch dials, wind up music keys and gaming pieces. A real treasure to be found!

Have a look online- http://www.forageandfind.co.uk

Since this piece was written, Stardust Years Vintage Fashion has opened. We’ve been open for 2 years & offer high-end original vintage fashion for ladies (sorry, chaps, but you might like to try Vintage Hound in Southgate street).

Find us in the High Street opposite the Man On The Horse statue. You ll find vintage treasures from the Victorian era to the 1990s & you can browse along to our vintage music!

Featured in @VisitEngland’s “Top Ten places to visit for amazing vintage finds”!
    http://www.stardustyears.com