Snow Update: Campus Closed at 1pm and Afternoon Exams Cancelled

3

The university have confirmed that afternoon exams will be CANCELLED after this morning’s weather conditions. The university will close at 1pm today, including the NOC and Winchester campus. Hartley library is also closed.

Any exams that would have been held today will now take place on Saturday, January 26.

The decision was made after concerns grew that students with afternoon exams would be on campus past 5pm, when travel conditions may be unsafe.

The university will remain closed until further notice, with SUSU and the library to stay shut over the weekend. Students are asked to check SUSSED at 8pm on Sunday evening for an update on next week’s exams. Hall’s bars will, however, still be open as usual.

The Winchester School of Art has also had to cancel applicant interviews scheduled for Saturday, January 19 also due to the weather. The university has stated that they will be in touch with applicants to rearrange the interviews.

VP Academic Affairs Sasha Waston posted an important update on the SUSU website:

With over 30 different exams due to take place this afternoon, rescheduling them is naturally difficult to do. A number of ideas have been discussed, and the priority has been placed on repeating the exams as soon as possible, to minimalise the impact on students.

You will be emailed at the start of next week about your new exam timetable, if you have had to have your exam this afternoon rescheduled.

In response to the rescheduling of today’s exams to Saturday, January 26, he has explained that some students may be able to go through special consideration if they are unable to make the exam:

It is acknowledged that some students will be in a situation where they cannot make their rescheduled exam next Saturday due to prior arrangements – if that is the case, you should contact your School Office at the earliest opportunity to explain the situation, and your case will be taken through special considerations.

One Second Year Computer Scientist Student, who had their exam cancelled this afternoon,  said:

I can understand the University’s decision to close, but the rescheduling has to be fair to students who’ve been preparing themselves for this afternoon. I would prefer contingency arrangements to have them on the first day back of the new semester.

This morning it was announced that exams would go ahead until further notice, with the university staying open until this statement was released.

The Met Office are forecasting that snowfall in Southampton could continue as late as 10pm tonight.

This comes after all bus services from Uni-link, Bluestar and Firstgroup were suspended, with buses becoming stranded. Train services are currently running a revised timetable on many routes, but passengers are advised to check to see if their route has been affected before traveling.

More than 500 local schools have also been closed in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.

It has been reported that Southampton City Council have begun to grit major pavements in the city centre,  and is using all resources – including waste collectors -to grit all major ‘A’ Roads. Waste collection has been suspended until further notice.

If you have any stories, news or photos related to the snow, get in touch!

Email: news@wessexscene.co.uk / editor@wessexscene.co.uk

Twitter: @wessexscene

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wscene

A Uni-Lnk bus sits abandoned after snowfall causes major transport siruption around the city.Thanks to Matthew Higgins for the image.
A Uni-Lnk bus sits abandoned after snowfall causes major transport disruption around the city.
Thanks to Matthew Higgins for the image.

“It has been reported that Southampton City Council have begun to grit major pavements in the city centre, and is using all resources – including waste collectors -to grit all major ‘A’ Roads.”

Should this not have been done days ago….? Everyone knew that this snow was coming and it snows this time every year, there’s no excuse for the country to come to a standstill anymore

SCC

Most of the major roads had been gritted the night before, and the workers had been doing it since 2am, but the level of snowfall was higher than expected and pretty much just covered the grit.

“I would prefer contingency arrangements to have them on the first day back of the new semester”

That could be easier, as people have plans for the weekend – but the knock on effect on teaching/ timetabling would be worse, unless the University committed to cancelling those lectures. With 30 different exams going on, that’s a lot of cancellation…