Student Arrested on Suspicion of Arson after Soton Halls Fire

9

A student has been arrested on suspicion of arson after a fire broke out at Romero Halls last night.

The 18 year-old, who lives in the room in which the fire started, was arrested on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life and is being questioned under standard procedures. There is no confirmation that there was malicious intent.

Last night The Wessex Scene and Current News reported on a fire at Romero Halls. Two fire engines were at the scene on Archers Road last night, after the fire started in a bedroom in Flat 6 on the ground floor of Romero Halls at around 22:30.

Students were evacuated to Gateley Common Room. It was also reported that one student had a seizure and an ambulance arrived.

Window at source of fire- photo courtesy of Lucy Dyer

Police arrived at around 00.50 to investigate the cause of the fire and at 01.10 it was reported that they would question the residents of two flats at a time.

Students returned to their rooms at 01.25 but those from Flat 6 and living in rooms adjacent to the site where the fire started have been temporarily rehoused due to the damage caused by the fire.

This morning The Wessex Scene were told that the Police had returned to Romero Halls and had questioned residents from Flat 5 and Forensics were at the scene.

The cause of the fire is yet unknown.

At 16.30 it has been reported that the Police have returned to Romero Halls.

Image courtesy of Lucy Dyer
Image courtesy of Lucy Dyer
Photo courtesy of Lucy Dyer 16:30
Photo courtesy of Lucy Dyer 16:30

The Wessex Scene will update this article as and when information becomes available, if you live at Romero Halls then tweet us @WessexScene or email editor@soton.ac.uk if you have any information.