Second Man Arrested after Fire at Romero

0

A second man has been arrested after a fire broke out at Romero Halls on Saturday night. 

The Wessex Scene and Current News reported on the fire which started in a ground floor flat at Romero Halls, Archers Road at 22:30 on Saturday night, (19 January). Detectives have now arrested and questioned a second man about the incident.

The 21 year-old is local and has been arrested on suspicion of arson with intent and has been bailed until 2 April, along with the 18 year-old who was arrested yesterday.

Meanwhile Detectives are working alongside Fire Investigators to establish the exact cause of the fire. All residents of the block were evacuated to nearby Gately Common Room and were allowed to return to their rooms at around 01.25 on Sunday morning.

Police are treating this as an isolated incident and assure local residents that there is no cause for ongoing concern.

A spokesperson from the University has this to say: ‘The University will continue to liaise with the authorities- Hampshire Constabulary and Hampshire Fire and Rescue in particular- to determine the cause of the fire.’

‘The University would like to thank all occupants of Romero Hall and nearby halls for the patience and co-operation, especially whilst the incident remained ‘live.’ And we extend our gratitude to all University staff involved in helping to resolve the incident as well as the local authorities for their swift and professional actions.’

Anyone who has information who has not yet spoken to Police is asked to contact Shirley CID on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

The Wessex Scene will update this article as and when information becomes available, if you live at Romero Halls then tweet us @WessexScene or email editor@soton.ac.uk if you have any information.

I come from South West London and am studying English at Southampton. I am interested in journalism and considering it as a career after my degree. I have interests in Sports and Music and have written for a sports magazine called Sportsister before. I am keen to get involved in as much as possible whilst at Uni and writing about my experiences could be a very rewarding thing. :)