VP Sports Development Candidate – Alex Mortlock

1

Name: Alex MortlockElections Alex

Age: 20

Degree subject: Geography

Positions held:

• Promotions brand manager at SUSU
  • University Boxing Squad member

Strength: Loyalty.

Campaign Slogan: Go Pro With Almo

Interview:

Why did you decide to run for this position?

Having been part of an AU club and an Intra-Mural club and seen where breakdown in communication has occurred and teams have suffered as a result I wanted to do something about it.

What has been your best experience during your involvement with SUSU?

Getting promoted to brand manager and the following time spent promoting Freshers and engaging with the wider student body as a result.

What makes YOU the best candidate for the job?

My mixture of playing both Intra-Mural football and being part of the university boxing squad has shown me, from a sportsman’s perspective where the VP Sport can be improved, and my role within SUSU has shown how similar issues have arisen from a management point of view, all things that I would change as the new VP Sports.

If you could make only one change to sports at the university, what would that change be?

Increase participation across the board.

How do you plan on improving intra-mural sports?

Frequent feedback sessions and close links with club captains and Wide Lane to ensure that people aren’t left in the lurch in relation to fixtures being cancelled as well as looking into external sponsorship for teams to ease the strain on the budget.

How will you improve the AU?

I will improve communication with all AU teams so everyone feels as though they are being supported, no matter the size of the problem or club. I will also endeavour to improve transport supply and cost to increase all AU teams’ ability to compete at the highest level they can. Lastly, by linking teams with their intramural counterparts, players potential can be exploited to the maximum and elite sport at the Uni will thrive as a result.

You can read Alex’s manifesto HERE

I study history. I like sport.