VP Welfare Candidate Sophie Brewer

0

sophie breweName: Sophie Brewer

Age: 20

Degree: 2nd year Podiatry

Positions Held:

South-Eastern Representative for the Nightline Association 2012-2013

Financial Welfare Officer 2011-2012

Academic President of Podiatry 2011 – 2013

Co-op Fresher Representative 2011

Surge Radio Show Host 2011-2012

Campaign Slogan: Vote Brewer

Strength: My proactive nature

Why did you decide to run for this position?

I love this community and through my extensive work for and with Southampton students, I have realised I deeply want to have the opportunity to make it so much better through experiencing the Union, university life and communicating with people within it.

What has been your best experience whilst you’ve been involved with SUSU?

There are so many to choose from! Although I would have to say my work for Nightline because I have made such a fantastic group of faithful friends, met inspirational people and had the pleasure of working on behalf of the Nightline Association.

What makes you the best candidate for the job?
I’m proactive, approachable and enthusiastic about University of Southampton students’ welfare.

Why does the University need a VP Welfare?

The university is not just a building where you go to learn it is a vibrant community that encompasses a broad spectrum of different people and a new way of life. In short Uni is nothing without the people involved and welfare is essential to these people, therefore you cannot have one without the need for the care of the other.

What is your welfare related horror story? (e.g. horrific housing etc)

I had bedbugs in my present house, something I wouldn’t wish on anyone!! I Hope that no one has the misfortune of having these critters in your home, they’re a nightmare and very expensive to get rid of, as me and the house had to pay for the council to check the property ourselves and some of our possessions had to be destroyed.

What have you enjoyed most so far about the elections?

Without trying to sound cheesy, many of the people I have met along the way have been awesome and it has really opened my eyes to vast variety of different societies that thrive at this uni, there are so many proactive students producing such fantastic work!

Read Sophie’s Manifesto HERE