Presidential Candidate – Ellis Sims

0

EllisName: Ellis Sims.

Age: 21 years young!

Degree: Sociology.

Position/s held:

• Social Sciences Academic President – 2012/13.
  • Social Sciences Staff Student Liaison Board – 2012/13.
  • Sociology Programme Board – 2012/13.
  • Politics Programme Board – 2012/13.
  • Demography Programme Board – 2012/13.
  • Economic Programme Board – 2012/13.
  • Connaught JCR President – 2011/12.
  • JCR Committee – 2011/12.
  • Union Council – 2011/12.
  • Member of JCR Planning Committee for the Cube – 2011/12.
  • Wessex Day/SHADE Planning Committee – 2011.
  • Events Manager for Good Food Society – 2011/12.

Campaign Slogan:

Cheaper, Simpler, Smarter.

Strength:

Belief that things happen for a reason.

Interview

Why did you decide to run for this position?

I believe I can offer something to the students of Southampton which is radically different to what has been offered before. I believe this Union is in need of desperate change and I believe I am the candidate to offer it.

What has been your best experience during your involvement with SUSU?

Honestly, I have had so many great experiences. I’ve met such a new and diverse range of people who have changed my life through SUSU. If I had to pick one, I would say my JCR Presidency is up there!

What makes you the best candidate for the job?

I am offering something radically different. I have spoken to dozens of societies and hundreds of students.

They believe that the expenses from this Union are too high, whether it be food from the SUSU Shop or hiring out the Mini-Buses.

They believe procedures are too complicated and accountability and ways of doing things need to be simplified.

Things need to be; Cheaper, Simpler and Smarter.

How will you go about enriching student support with housing awareness? 

This year there have been some terrific moves forwards in regards to housing issues. The Student Awareness campaign championed by our VP Welfare Chloe Green is moving in the right direction. If I were President, I would make sure this was continued.

However I want to see the final establishment of a SUSU Letting Agency so the issues affecting so many Freshers can be negated by us.

What are you going to do to improve the SUSU Nightlife?

Honestly, the best way to improve the use of the Union is to make it more affordable.

There are obviously things which have become immensely popular here at our Union. The Bridge Bar has become so much more popular and revitalized itself. Although if you saw my debate you would have thought I hated it!

But in some instances, for example in regards to Minibus hire, you have teams which have found it more affordable to hire external coaches and obtain special driving licenses.

Make the Union simpler to book for societies, make it more affordable and competitive in terms of prices by utilizing our financial surplus and you will have a winning formula to improving the use of the Union.

How will you manage the VPs effectively, considering their differing priorities?

I am a big believer in letting people get on with what they know best at. So yes, Sports WILL definitely want more money seeing as AU and Intra-Mural have been depleted this year and the clubs of each have been crying out for more resources.

With all these conflicting priorities, I believe the best way to manage the VPs is to have them held to account in the most direct and personal way possible. I believe a Sabbatical Question Time, held every Wednesday at 1pm, is a far better way to control VPs than any other sort of measure.

View Ellis’s manifesto here.