Student Trustee Candidates – Andreas Day and Marcus Burton.

0

Student trustees picStudent Trustees are responsible for ensuring that SUSU complies with the law, with its own objectives, and with the policies agreed by its democratic structures. Their job is to make sure things run smoothly in terms of financial stability, the reputation, culture and ethos of the Union, as well as the strategic direction. They have regular meetings with the Union President.

There are two candidates running for this role, with four places available.

In the order displayed on the SUSU website, these are Andreas Day and Marcus Burton.

Andreas DayAndreas Day

Age: 21 Years old

Degree Subject: Studies French and Linguistics

Firstly, what is your strength?

I am somebody who is willing to make the best decisions which will benefit the Union and the students themselves. To do this, I feel that it is important to listen to students on any issues where their input is welcome. I am genuinely interested in students’ opinions and I make an effort to make myself approachable to anybody who has any queries about decisions being made in Trustee Board.

Why did you decide to run for this position?
I was happy to be elected Trustee in 2010/11 and had many great experiences through serving my role. My year abroad has been a great opportunity to reflect on what I have done in Southampton and my time as a Trustee has been looked back upon fondly. Therefore when the opportunity to nominate myself for this position for 2013/14 came around, there was no question in taking myself up on it.

What has been your best experience during your involvement with SUSU?
Mine has undoubtedly been with SUSUtv, which I am lucky enough to have been involved with since Freshers’ Week 2010. I have been given many opportunities due to my involvement with the station, ranging from directing large SUSU events to contributing to national awards. I believe everybody should be involved with a society as this is usually where the best experiences and memories at university are lived!

What makes YOU the best candidate for the job?
After 3 years of being involved with SUSU, I am lucky to have had a lot of experience within the Union – both directly related to the role of Trustee and to the University and Union as a whole. By combining this experience and a willingness to take the pulse of the student community on important matters through consultation, I am ready to work with the other Trustees and make the correct decisions to take SUSU forward.

Many people won’t have heard of it, so, put simply, what is the student trustee role?
A Trustee works with other Trustees (including external Trustees and Sabbatical Officers) to manage the Union. They are legally responsible for the Union and have the responsibility to focus on the management aspect, rather than student politics.

What is the most important role that SUSU can play in a student’s life?
The University does a good job of offering us a great education, but we all know that we didn’t decide to go to uni just for the lectures. What SUSU does so well is unite students with common interests, meaning that societies and services (eg. bars, support for students etc.) can easily flourish. The most important role of SUSU, which personifies the whole Union, is that of ‘community’.

View Andreas’s Manifesto HERE.

Marcus BurtonMarcus burton

Age and Subject: 19 years old, 2nd year English.

Slogan: ‘Trust Marcus. Vote Marcus for Student Trustee.’

Firstly, what is your strength?
Well, in my manifesto I’ve outlined three broad strengths – communication, dedication & enthusiasm, and organisation & institutional awareness. But the key strength I’ll probably make use of the most as a trustee will be an eye for fine detail: to read and see what’s really being said (or not, as the case may be). That should hopefully serve me well for the reams of Trustee Board papers!

I’ve been a Union Councillor this year, and I’ve really enjoyed it – but as I’ve worked as a Councillor, I’ve become more and more aware of Trustee Board’s centrality to SUSU’s work. For instance, I sit on Societies Committee as a representative of Council, and in that capacity I’ve seen the enormous benefit of Trustee Board’s trebling the funding it allocates to Societies Committee this year – the work of our Board allows SUSU to do extraordinary things, and I’d love to be a part of that.

Good question! Whilst it’s not technically a SUSU experience, I ran for EngSoc (English Society) Committee last year, and was elected Publicity Officer – the whole handover process was fantastic, and it made me feel a part of a really close-knit community of current and former Committees.

I’d hope it’s my willingness to listen to and feed in students’ views. I’ve discovered as I’ve been campaigning quite how few students have any idea of what Trustee Board is, let alone what it gets up to – that’s something I’d hope to work on.

Student trustees are there to ensure we have the Union which best fits students’ needs. By which I mean, I believe their main focus is upon collecting and feeding in students’ views into Trustee Board’s work – so in that way, it’s about informing the strategies brought by the Sabbatical trustees in the same way as the experience of the External trustees. 

Ultimately, our Union is the student’s support for when things go wrong at University. If everything else stopped – if the clubs and societies disaffiliated and ran on their own, if they closed down the bars and the Shop and the Bridge (never!), students would still need an institution that could deal with the University for academic and pastoral issues. That’s something I’d hope to always keep in mind as a Trustee.

View Marcus’s Manifesto HERE.