Stabbing on Shakespeare Avenue

8

Police are hunting for witnesses following a serious assault which  took place last night, Sunday, March 17.

At approximately 9:15pm, a man was stabbed near the junction of Shakespeare Avenue and Portswood Avenue.  The police were called by a member of the public who saw the man threaten the victim with a knife. After the incident the culprit ran towards Portswood high-street.

The victim was found outside Charcoal Grill and was immediately transported to Southampton General Hospital, suffering a punctured lung. Police and their scientific forensic team were seen searching the surrounding areas late last night.Print

Police are currently looking for witnesses as part of Operation Fortress, a system put in place to held protect the local community, which is described as  ‘Shielding your community from drug-related violence’. As of yet the motivation behind the attack is unknown. Notices have been delivered to local residents appealing for information.

An appeal for witnesses has been announced. The man was approached by someone described as a ‘black male with dark complexion, about 5’8-10′ tall, slight build with short dark hair, wearing shiny dark tracksuit bottoms and a dark jacket’. It has not been stated whether or not the victim was a student.

Detective Sergeant Justin Torgout said:

We’re looking into the possibility that this may have been connected to drug supply in Southampton. I’d like to hear from anyone who may have seen what happened on Shakespeare Avenue or seen anything suspicious nearby around that time on Sunday evening. The victim in this incident hasn’t suffered life threatening injuries but it could have been much worse. If you know someone who’s carrying a knife illegally, please encourage them to hand the blade in to one of our secure bins at Southampton Central or Bitterne police station this month as part of our knife amnesty.

A 22 year old male from London has been arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and remains in custody.

Please contact the Operation Fortress team if you saw or heard anything which may be of help on 02380 599836, quoting reference number 44130099346.

shakespeare ave

Do you have the rights to use that photo of the road sign for this article on the homepage?

Looks identicle to this one:

Ellie Sellwood

hi James, We have a bank of photos which we use for articles and we are just checking the source. I think it’s from one of our writers but thanks for pointing out that it looks similar to one from the Tab.

Ellie Sellwood

I can now confirm that it is a photo taken by the author of this article.

James

Ahh, I can see it’s been changed now – after I pointed it out.
    But whatever you say, it was exactly the same image as the one in the above link, until it was changed

Ellie Sellwood

we have a bank of photos which are not copyrighted so if it was the picture you mentioned we can only apologise. It has been rectified now so thanks for your help.