Enactus Southampton National Champions for a Third Time

0

Tenactushe Enactus team for Southampton University have won the National Championships  for the third time in a row, sending them through to the World Cup later this year.

Enactus Southampton competed in the National Championships held in London on Wednesday, April 17 and Thursday, April 18, which saw teams from across the UK give presentations on their projects and achievements to professionals and members of the organisation.

They became National Champions after competing in the finals against the University of Sheffield , Royal Holloway University of London, University of  Nottingham and BPP University College, with many commenting on the high quality of all presentations throughout the day. Sheffield’s team were announced as the runners up.

Enactus, formerly known as SIFE, describes itself as a ‘community of student, academic and business leaders committed to using the power of entrepreneurial action to transform lives and shape a better more sustainable world.’. Southampton’s team has over 147 members and twelve projects, both  social and commercial. Their website can be found HERE.

In 2011, Enactus Southampton (then SIFE Southampton) represented the UK at the World Cup in Kuala Lumpur, achieving a place in the top 24. Last year, they became National Champions again and took part in the World Cup in Washington DC, this time placing among the top 12 teams. The team will be going to Cancun this year, to compete in the World Cup 2013.

At the end of 2012, the organisation was re-branded from SIFE (Students in Free Enterprise) to Enactus: a combination of the words ‘Entrepreneurial’, ‘Action’ and ‘Us’, to highlight what they do.

The Southampton team will now start preparation for the World Cup competition in Cancun, Mexico over the summer. The World Cup will take place from September 29 until October 1, and will involve each national winning team presenting their projects to a number of international business leaders and professionals.

Enactus Southampton have also been nominated for EVAs in all six categories announced so far – the winners of which will be announced at the EVA Ceremony at SUSU on Friday, May 3.
Read about their achievements in Washington DC HERE

Read about their victory in the 2012 National Competition HERE