Crime in Hampshire Continues to Fall

0

Criminal offences in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight have dropped for the sixth year running, with almost 20,000 fewer crimes in comparison to the previous year.

Offences recorded from 2011 to 2012 have dropped by 15%, from 128,690 to 108,745 in 2012 to 2013.

Figures released by Hampshire Constabulary confirm that serious violent crime has dropped by 21%, whilst significantly; burglaries, robberies and vehicle crime have decreased by 22% from 15,589 to 12,180 offences.

Chief Constable Andy Marsh praised police officers, police staff, police volunteers and local people in helping to keep communities safe.

New Hampshire Police chief  constable Andy Marsh
Hampshire Police chief constable Andy Marsh

“I am passionate about ensuring we provide policing that has exceptional leadership at all levels which will make Hampshire and the Isle of Wight a place where people will always feel safe to live, work and visit.

“Our aims are to protect the people we serve from those who would cause them harm by making our two counties a hostile environment for criminals. The continued reduction in total crime across the force is testament to the tireless dedication, commitment, hard work and ‘one team’ approach of my officers, staff and volunteers against a backdrop of cuts and financial restraint.”

Our aims are to protect the people we serve from those who would cause them harm by making our two counties a hostile environment for criminals

Simon Hayes, Police and Crime Commissioner for Hampshire, said:

“I would like to congratulate the constabulary on the past year’s performance which has seen crime levels fall for the sixth consecutive year. Whilst this has resulted in further reductions in those crimes that have the greatest impact on our communities, it creates even greater challenges for the year ahead.

I have confidence that my Police and Crime Plan will meet those challenges although it becomes increasingly difficult with the further budgetary cuts the constabulary has to make.  By working closely with the chief constable, the Community Safety Partnerships and other key stakeholders, it is my desire to maintain these low crime levels and reduce them still further.”

Listen to Chief Constable Andy Marsh discuss the end of year performance figures below:

News Editor for the Wessex Scene 2013 - 2015. I lead the news section, consistently providing the website with up-to-date news content. I am experienced in researching, reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories.