Southampton Team Triumphs in National iQuiz Final

1

A team of Southampton students triumphed last night at the iQuiz Final, rocking in at second place.

Southampton's Hips Don't Lie look overjoyed alongside Assistant Editor of the i, Rhodri Jones
Southampton’s Hips Don’t Lie look overjoyed alongside Assistant Editor of the i, Rhodri Jones

Battling it out against teams from 11 other universities around the UK, the team competed in the final which was held in Birmingham’s Ikon Gallery. The four third year students secured second place after five rounds of gruelling quiz questions which thoroughly tested their general knowledge; with questions on all things from art galleries to 19th century novelists, geographical features of Mars to the most common seven deadly sins.

Regional heats for the iQuiz – masterminded by i, a branch of the Independent – were held at the beginning of May. ‘Southampton’s Hips Don’t Lie’ were the team that attended the final, and was made up of third year students David Mendoza-Wolfson, Tom Wilson, Edward Molyneux and Alexander Brown.

On attending the event, David Mendoza-Wolfson said that it was “great fun,” and that the team are “chuffed to have come second, beating all the other south coast teams and Durham felt pretty good too!”

Securing the second place position means the team have won themselves tickets to Latitude Festival in July, with travel provided by National Express. ‘Southampton’s Hips Don’t Lie’ were pipped to first place by ‘UKIP If You Want To’ from Warwick University who won VIP tickets to Latitude. Sussex University’s ‘Here For The Beer’ reached third place, winning themselves day tickets to Latitude.