SU Formula Student Team are Revved up to Reveal Car for Silverstone

0

A passionate and enthusiastic team of students at the University of Southampton are ready to reveal this Friday 28th June their own single-seat race car which will enable them to take part in this year’s Formula Student 2013.

fst

The Southampton Formula Student team, which consists of 100 undergraduate and postgraduate students from across the University – have exhaustively devoted their free time over the last few months to design and build the car ready to race against 149 teams from 32 different countries.

The team have not competed since 2005. However, thanks to financial support from the University’s Alumni Fund, further support secured from the Student Centredness Fund and from workshop allocations, the team have been able to produce a car suitable for competition in this year’s event.

SU Formula Student Team's Workshop. Picture Courtesy of Twitter
SU Formula Student Team’s Workshop. Picture Courtesy of Twitter

Dave Crothers, Team Leader 2013/2014 of the Southampton Formula Student team, said:

“The project has provided the perfect springboard for the student population, local community and industries to get more involved with the team and we look forward to developing these links as we look to the future.

“With plans for an IMechE Young Members Board, as well as proposals to integrate Formula Student concepts and projects into the course material, it is looking like 2013 will be a monumental year for the Formula Student Team at the University of Southampton.”

Picture Courtesy of Twitter
A New Banner for the Team. Picture Courtesy of Twitter

The Southampton Formula Student team encourage everyone to come and meet them this Friday 28 June between 2 and 4pm at the Autolab, outside ISVR Building 13. The car itself will be unveiled at 4.45pm following a welcome presentation.

Formula Student is run by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) and will be held at Silverstone from 4-7 July. The event aims to challenge universities from across the world to design, build and race a single seat racing car from scratch in one year – before putting it to the test at one of the world’s greatest racetracks.

For more information please visit:

SU Formula Student Website www.sufst.co.uk

Follow the team on Twitter (https://twitter.com/SUFST).

News Editor for the Wessex Scene 2013 - 2015. I lead the news section, consistently providing the website with up-to-date news content. I am experienced in researching, reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories.